• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I need help. I have nearly pulled the trigger on six or seven different pedals in the last week, each time feeling like “this is the one I want”, but then three hours later feeling like it’s probably exactly the wrong one.

I’m running Andy Timmons style into a clean channel of a boogie amplifier. I have two wonderful overdrive pedals that I love, the Xotic BB preamp, and the Mojo Hand Magpie, but I need a nice full “modern” distortion sound. I’m tired of my Suhr Riot mini which is just isn’t making me happy any more. The distortion sound in my head is closest to what Lukather, I guess.

Any ideas? What have you been enjoying lately?

xjbebop

Sheesh... there are so many modern offerings! And there are so many variables in the equation that affect the outcome. Wouldn't hurt to consider some old school / classic 'affordable' options... Buy from a source that you can easily return / exchange until you find your 'flavor of the month'...

DrKev

An “accident” happened since I posted this thread. Reverb sent me an email that a Carl Martin Plexi Tone I was watching dropped 15% off the price and I accidentally entered my credit card number and it ships tomorrow.

Any ever used a Plexi Tone? Should I have gotten a Wampler Plexi Drive or Phenom instead or in addition?

I have BAD gas right now.

Gemmy

I need help. I have nearly pulled the trigger on six or seven different pedals in the last week, each time feeling like “this is the one I want”, but then three hours later feeling like it’s probably exactly the wrong one.

I’m running Andy Timmons style into a clean channel of a boogie amplifier. I have two wonderful overdrive pedals that I love, the Xotic BB preamp, and the Mojo Hand Magpie, but I need a nice full “modern” distortion sound. I’m tired of my Suhr Riot mini which is just isn’t making me happy any more. The distortion sound in my head is closest to what Lukather, I guess.

Any ideas? What have you been enjoying lately?
why not try one of these two (or both) distortion pedals made for Andy Timmons? Lol

Ted

Most of the time I play, I'm running through amp sims in my computer. I REALLY love the Tonex software from IK Multimedia. It's like a Kemper type of arrangement that uses your own computer as the hardware. Amplitube 5 is great, but I really prefer the realistic vibe I get in Tonex more.

One of the cool things about Tonex is that in addition to downloading modeled amps/cabinets, you can just download from thousands of modeled stomp distortion pedals. I got my brother the Tonex Pedal-- and what is awesome about this piece of hardware is you can put whatever pedals you want into your Tonex pedal, then put it into your live rig chain like you would any other pedal and run that into your amp. So for the price of the Tonex pedal, you can basically audition models of every distortion pedal out there and see how they sound through your chain.

Gemmy

Most of the time I play, I'm running through amp sims in my computer. I REALLY love the Tonex software from IK Multimedia. It's like a Kemper type of arrangement that uses your own computer as the hardware. Amplitube 5 is great, but I really prefer the realistic vibe I get in Tonex more.

One of the cool things about Tonex is that in addition to downloading modeled amps/cabinets, you can just download from thousands of modeled stomp distortion pedals. I got my brother the Tonex Pedal-- and what is awesome about this piece of hardware is you can put whatever pedals you want into your Tonex pedal, then put it into your live rig chain like you would any other pedal and run that into your amp. So for the price of the Tonex pedal, you can basically audition models of every distortion pedal out there and see how they sound through your chain.
Tonex looks awesome and could be awesome to try for options. I would also recommend fractal because it gives me lots of distortion options. At this point in the game of guitar world/land I would definitely pick a modeler or profiler because I never have anywhere to consistently and frequently play tube or analog stuff loud lol

DrKev

Thanks for thoughts there!

I have an iRig 2, which comes with Amplitube, and I really didn’t like it how it sounds. Maybe I’m just used to the sound of a 12 inch speaker and pedals, and I’m not really interested in having to spend a lot of money for a whole new technology to play guitar with. At least not right now. When (or if) long Covid leaves me and I can get back to gigging again and silent stage is a requirement somewhere I will, but not right now.

I realize I just have to try bunch of pedals and see what suits me with my amp and speaker, of course, but I would like to know what other peoples experiences are with physical pedals. All the YouTube videos in the world are fine and good, but sometimes there’s no substitute for hearing how people in your own community actually feel when they plug in to a small box with knobs to turn.

Gemmy

Thanks for thoughts there!

I have an iRig 2, which comes with Amplitube, and I really didn’t like it how it sounds. Maybe I’m just used to the sound of a 12 inch speaker and pedals, and I’m not really interested in having to spend a lot of money for a whole new technology to play guitar with. At least not right now. When (or if) long Covid leaves me and I can get back to gigging again and silent stage is a requirement somewhere I will, but not right now.

I realize I just have to try bunch of pedals and see what suits me with my amp and speaker, of course, but I would like to know what other peoples experiences are with physical pedals. All the YouTube videos in the world are fine and good, but sometimes there’s no substitute for hearing how people in your own community actually feel when they plug in to a small box with knobs to turn.
Not sure if you’ve heard of this one. But it has a really cool sound. Never tried the real thing but the model in my fractal is cool and has its own flavor for distortion.

DrKev

Carl Martin PlexiTone arrived today. Within a half hour I was grinning like a fool. Does a great impression of Luke’s “All’s Well That Ends Well” tones. Fabulous!

Might still buy a Keeley El Ray Dorado and see how that sounds but the Suhr Riot is off the board now!

DrKev

I did order the Keeley El Rey Dorado. The Carl Martin Plexitone has more far gain than I need and I’m always down in the bottom quarter of the gain knob so maybe the El Rey Dorado will suit me better.

I also got a Keeley Super Phat Mod. It’s the most handsome pedal I have ever seen. Sounds great too!

beej

Dude, you're on a tear!

I went the other way ... I'm using the HX stomp for most effects (just makes it so much easier for gigging ... small board and all) so sold off a bunch of distortion pedals I didn't need.

DrKev

I’m not a collector of unused gear and usually work on a “one in, one out” basis, but yeah, if three in one out qualifies as on a tear, so be it. 🙂

But long Covid is kicking me hard this summer so scouring Reverb for best deals on interesting gear is about all I can do and helps to pass time.

DrKev

Update: The El Rey Dorado is stunning! Yes, it does slightly lower gain and bass than the Carl Martin PlexiTone and aounds better doing it. But it is also very aggressively bright, like a real 1960s JTM 45 Marshall Plexi. Bridge pickup rock tones roar like a jet fighter on takeoff and then you switch to a neck single coil and it will slice your head clean off and make you happy it did! Both the El Rey Dorado and the PlexiTone are one trick ponies, but WOW! what a trick!

I am now wondering about the Wampler Plexi Drive mini…? 🤣

Top Bottom