• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Elirion

Hey guys,

about ten years ago, I bought a gorgeos, all black, second hand 1989 stingray (model "GUITAR 5 HOLE NECK PLATE BLACK MATTE NO LOGO" according to the serial number lookup) and played it for three more years, until my wrists gave in (genetic issues, I don't think it was the basses fault :p) and I first started to play way less regularly and finally stopped completely after a couple more months.

Today, six years later, I was finally was able to make the hard decision to let go of that gorgeous beast as I feel that I will not be able to honor it appropriately anymore and I believe others should experience the same fun I had with it.

The only problem is, that I have a hard time estimating how much I can still ask for it.
On the one hand, it is pretty used, has it's dents and scratches and could use some service, on the other hand I believe it still sounds very nicely with that smooth roaring undertone and should be quickly up to speed after paying a little attention to servicing it.

I saw everything in the range from 1000$ to 2000+$ and couldn't find a lot of information or references for that specific model.

What do you guys think? From your experience, is this a rather common piece, something on the rarer side, or something in between?

20200830_142857.jpg
20200830_142918.jpg
20200830_142932.jpg
20200830_142936.jpg
20200830_143002.jpg

Elirion

That is a onix black or „Darth Vader“ bass. Rare - yes, sought after - I don‘t know.

Nice, that's already a nice startingpoint. Also, good to know that people from Germany know it, as I am located in Munich, Germany :)

danny-79

I’ve never seen that finish before. It looks like an early version of what eventually evolved into the Stealth finish.
It’s a lovely looking bass you have there, mute bridge etc.
Sorry I can’t be more help regarding it’s value.

Elirion

With this information, I was able to dig out some more info from the forum:

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-basses/1314-darth-vader-stingray.html

and

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-basses/36725-special-run-bass.html

and finally I also found a guy selling the same piece for 1100 somewhere in California.

It's very interesting to know that only ~100 were made and that it's a rather curious object. Now it'll probably take me another six years again to be able to finally sell it :p

Golem

Bought an ‘89 about a year ago from Guitar Center. It was $900, fairly low $$, possibly because it was modified. I happen to verrrry highly value the mod, a really professional conversion to FL with hard glossy FB coating over a maple FB. So the neck looks new and the body looks old but not beaten up. Came with a case, intact except latches don’t latch.

Mine is likely one of a kind but is quite unofficially a limited run. Just thought that an accurate description plus price paid might help you get an idea about the market value of yours.

Last edited:
Top Bottom