• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mediate

Sigh ... I really need a new set of strings. The EB's that I have right now (STHB 10-52) are not staying in tune properly. I play around 6 hrs per day, at random intervals. I have these strings on a PRS 25th Edition Custom SE, and since it has a tremolo system, try to keep it at standard tuning when I put it away. However, when I pick it up later in the day, the D and G strings go right off, with G dropping to F# and D to a very flat D. I've used EB's on my 7 string before, and they didn't sound as good, however, after some time, these have started to sound good as well. I'd like to try another set and *hopefully* get a good experience out of EB strings. Are there any that you guys recommend? BTW, I play mostly death metal songs, like early Opeth and Death style, as well as some A7X and Epica.

TNT

mediate buddy,

It's NOT the strings!! No matter what the tuning problems are, it's not the strings.

PRS is a good guitar, it will stay in tune. You really need to set it up "correctly" though. That's it. No matter if you bury the bar or not, it will stay in tune if the guitar is set up right.

Then get some #2253's 9's - put the pedal to the metal and you'll never look back!

Gio_Force_One

are you sure the nut slots are cut right and are big enough for the strings sometimes if the nut isnt cut right or if you changed gauges of strings for what the nut was cut for the strings could get caught up in the nut and not return to pitch. or you could buy some lubricant for the nut and see it that helps too. but i have used those strings for a while and never has a problem. if 9s generally come on prs guitars then the bottom strings would be 2 gauges higher then what the nut was cut for.

mediate

Wow, thanks for the fast response!

are you sure the nut slots are cut right and are big enough for the strings sometimes if the nut isnt cut right or if you changed gauges of strings for what the nut was cut for the strings could get caught up in the nut and not return to pitch. or you could buy some lubricant for the nut and see it that helps too. but i have used those strings for a while and never has a problem. if 9s generally come on prs guitars then the bottom strings would be 2 gauges higher then what the nut was cut for.

They are cut right. Although it is true that they were originally 9's on it, the guitar tech who did the guage change told me that he needed to cut away from the nut slot. It's evident on the low e string as that is a lot thicker than it was originally (.042 originally, now .052). As well, I checked each string this morning and it seems to be able to slip in & out of the nut slot.

mediate buddy,

It's NOT the strings!! No matter what the tuning problems are, it's not the strings.

PRS is a good guitar, it will stay in tune. You really need to set it up "correctly" though. That's it. No matter if you bury the bar or not, it will stay in tune if the guitar is set up right.

Then get some #2253's 9's - put the pedal to the metal and you'll never look back!

I had 9's before, so that can't come back. The nut slots are cut away now to fit the heavier guage strings. I agree that it may not set up correctly. I used to use some Dean Markley blue steels on the same guitar, 9-42 though, and they had the same problem. I have a spare dean markley set at home, but am not planning to replace these ernie balls until they break. However, I also noticed that when these strings were brand new, they buzzed like crazy. Now, they are not, however that buzz was irritating. Maybe I'll try some EB's after the dean markley set, however, so far I've only had failures with EB's. Hopefully I can find a set and guage that works for my style. Any recommendations of a guage either higher or at 10-52's

Top Bottom