• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ivan5150

Hello again, I've just received my new Luke III HH, I'm a little concerned about the tremolo and the tuning.
Every time I use the tremolo, even if I just touch a little the arm, the guitar go slighty out of tune :(
The tremolo is factory setup (see image attached)
Maybe the strings are too new? What else I can try?
Also Im kinda new with Schaller Lock, are the string correctly attached? (see image attached)

:(

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Last edited:

Pspguitar

I would put a new set of strings on the guitar and make sure they are properly stretched. Cech the intonation as well. Also, rubbing a bit of a pencil on the nut will help. I have found EBMM trems to be rock solid. I float my tremolos by adjusted the trem claw screws and placing 5 sticky note pad pieces of paper under the trem during setup to a great playing guitar.

ivan5150

Hello, yes I have put a new set of strings but i have the same issue, I've attached another picture with the strings, maybe I've stretched the strings the wrong way?

Pspguitar

With the locking tuners you could just poke the string through and no need for a wrap. I have several EBMM guitars and I install them straight through and lock them up - no issues. Have you tried the pencil trick on the nut slots? The strings will slide better.

EDIT: Ahh...theres your issue...Your trem angle is too step and you will need to adjust your trem claw screws. If this is not important to you - to have a floating trem - you may when to adjust the trem claw screws so the trem sits against the guitar body. I prefer a slightly floating trem as mentioned above, but during string changes it requires a specific set up method by blocking the trem a bit, tuning to pitch, then removing the block. Otherwise, it won't be in tune. That's your issue. There are some video on Youtube about this. Search for floating a two point trem etc. Many videos about strats out there - similar process

How To Set up a Strat Floating Tremolo | Two Pivots Tremolo | Whammy Bar - YouTube

Last edited:

ivan5150

Thank you
I managed to setup like this (see image)
It seems way better... there is always a slight out of tune but maybe the string now are really new...

IMG_0097.jpg

Pspguitar

That looks much better. You may even want to have it rest against the guitar to trouble shoot if there are other issues? Float it after you problem solve. New strings take a bit to break in.

Astrofreq

stretch the heck out of those strings, up and down the entire length. That will probably help 99% of the tuning. Also, the guitar is getting acclimated to wherever you live, so it might take a couple of tweaks here and there. You have an awesome guitar! Enjoy it!

GoKart Mozart

EDIT: Ahh...theres your issue...Your trem angle is too step and you will need to adjust your trem claw screws. If this is not important to you - to have a floating trem - you may when to adjust the trem claw screws so the trem sits against the guitar body. I prefer a slightly floating trem as mentioned above, but during string changes it requires a specific set up method by blocking the trem a bit, tuning to pitch, then removing the block. Otherwise, it won't be in tune. That's your issue.

Things like this all come down to personal preference. The LIII comes from the factory set up as depicted in the OPs post, where the bar will allow the G-string to pull up 1.5 steps. If the strings are properly installed, properly stretched, and there is no binding at the nut then there should be no tuning issues with the bridge angled like that. I have kept my LIII set up like this since day 1 and it is one of the most stable guitars that I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbonesullivan

Now, do you mean that the strings don't return to being in tune after you use the tremolo, or that when you are touching the tremolo, your strings go out of tune?

ivan5150

Ty all for the answer.
Now for my personal preference I prefer the tremolo sit against the body, so I'm happy with the actual tremolo setup. It's much more stable but, again, if I use the tremolo, a little dive bomb for example, the cords will not back perfectly in tune.. :(

Top Bottom