• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

rob303

Anyone bite? I've played one at a local shop twice and I'm a bit obsessed. I've never played a Luke before that. Also, I'm curious if the neck ends up being wider with the binding and if the stainless frets are larger than the standard frets.

Thanks!

michaeld13

Rob03, can you send that question into customer service and check? I'd like to know. They are the source for the best answer. My Starry Night has "high profile wide" is what customer service told me. I asked if the Neptune Blue run had larger frets than mine and they said they should be the same size...

rob303

Funny you ask as I just logged in to report my findings. I called EBMM this morning and they did a little research and just emailed me. The frets are not stainless and are in fact standard nickel 0.047"w x 0.095"h. Although I think maybe the gentleman who emailed me from EBMM has his dimensions transposed.

Last edited:

rob303

I did not. Regarding the frets, he said those are the standard Luke frets. Is .097x.045 considered low profile, wide?

Either way, I've played this guitar a couple times over the past week and it's really amazing.

michaeld13

Not sure this helps- but from Warmoth:
6130 .106" X .036" Low and wide. Sometimes called "Medium Jumbo" Many Gibson® necks
6105 .095" X .047" Narrow and tall Very popular choice
6150 .104" X .047" Wide and tall. The standard "Jumbo" Modern Fender American® necks

michaeld13

Yes I've seen that. I was looking for common descriptors to match up wth sizing. Also I don't think that info you were given was correct? I saw M.Friend catalog yesterday advertising this model and it said stainless in the description. And the size you mentioned above I don't think is considered low wide like on the normal Luke's.

rob303

I agree the info is suspect. It is possible the spec changed after the marketing copy was drafted and distributed. But it seems we are left off where we started :-|

michaeld13

Just to update this thread. The fret size on m Starry Night Luke is .095 x .047 "narrow and tall" - stainless- I think the info you were give is wrong and the new Luke has the same size and stainless. Hope that helps.

PeteDuBaldo

Update with photos of #16 and #18 that arrived on Wednesday!

#16/300
Ernie Ball Music Man Luke LIII BFR Tumescent – HH – #16 of 300 photo gallery – duBaldo music

Luke-L3-Tumescent-HH-G77978-7.jpg

Luke-L3-Tumescent-HH-G77978-19.jpg

#18/300

(#18 has been sold)
Ernie Ball Music Man Luke LIII BFR Tumescent – HH – #18 of 300 photo gallery – duBaldo music

L3-HH-Tumescent-18-300-G77979-4.jpg

L3-HH-Tumescent-18-300-G77979-13.jpg

Last edited:

misterB

Only for Luke could they come up with tumescent!!! So funny!!!! And beautiful to boot. Who's idea was the tumescent????????

Bryan

This is probably the first time that EBMM has given me such a head scratching moment.

Why would they make this unique BFR Luke, make it so limited (and awesome), and NOT put SS frets on it?

Unless Steve himself didn't ask for them, this decision puzzles me for sure.

Manxmusicman

These look so good but in the UK these cost £3499!! That's $4550, can't believe it costs that much to get it to the UK, oh well I'll have to keep saving for the Valentine.

JVinson

Back in 2009 I built guitars and was a moderator on a site called ProjectGuitar.com and I used a method of staining that a lot use nowadays. When I built a 50's Strat replica from scratch I used Swamp Ash, but the wood has very deep pours. So since I didn't want it to sink in later after painting, I used epoxy and decided that it might make the grain pop out even more if I used black die mixed with epoxy to do so. It turned out amazing and seems like everyone started doing it after I posted my Strat build tutorial. I'm not sure if that's what they did on these, but it wouldn't shock me. Ernie Ball builds some top notch guitars!
Check out my old blog here to see the Stat I did..etc,: My Pictures Blog

Top Bottom