• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

chrismilne

Hello, I sent a message off to customer support, but curious if anyone else had suggestions as well. I got my first Majesty (the Spice Melange limited edition), and it will not stay in tune. The g and b strings mostly, even when just playing. If I bend or use the tremolo it can't recover and stay in tune either. Any ideas where to start?

racerx

If you're comfortable with basic setup maintenance, I would start there (stretch the strings, try exaggerating the tremolo motion a bit, check the tuners to make sure everything is locked tight, etc). Depending where you are it could be environmental factors while the guitar is settling. Worst case scenario try a new set of strings if you haven't to rule out a bad batch or kink (pretty sure they're RPS 10s).

Etudica

Sounds like the nut may just need broken in a little bit. In my experience just running a string back and forth through the nut slot while doing a string change and then adding some big bends nut sauce in there afterwards cleared it up. On one of my brand new JPs the problematic string would bind in the nut to the point it would actually "ping" now and then. Never had to file anything - just try to accelerate the break in manually. Since it's only two strings it sounds like the nut, not the bridge pivot points or bridge springs. Now if all strings went noticeably flat or sharp after using the trem then I'd take a closer look at the pivot knife edges as well. That has been a problem with one of mine in the past also (also easily fixed with some polishing and lubrication).

chrismilne

Thanks for the replies, the tuners are locked properly. I had an issue with a Suhr nut that had to be recut, they told me to try to pull the string up out of the nut while tuned to pitch, and sure enough the g string would not come out like the others. However, on the Majesty, none of them can do that, i assume it's just made in a different way. I will try your suggestions, since only built last December i would think they would come more "ready to go" at 6k :)

Mr.Garrow

I used nut sauce on the nut and bridge,Problem solved. Spring tension is spot on, truss rod has the neck flat. New guitars need some breaking in and nut sauce allowed the strings especially the G string to move and return to pitch.

Top Bottom