• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Graz66

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has had this experience.

I ordered a brand new Musicman Sterling which arrived yesterday, serial number shows it to be a November 2020 build.

As soon as i picked it up out of the case i could hear something had come loose inside of the bass. To cut a long story short i discovered that the phantom coil had come away from the bottom of the pickup and was hanging loose by the wires which were thankfully still attached.

Looking at the photo's you can see the brown residue which i assume must be the glue, which has now hardened.

I've contacted Strings & Things ( EBMM distributor here in the UK ) & who have emailed EBMM in the US to see what adhesive they use to see if there's a quick fix.

Got to say i'm slightly disappointed with it being a new instrument.

Are there any other Sterling owners out there who have experienced anything like this?

Thanks Graham

Attachments

• IMG_20210209_082057_resized_20210209_082328279.jpg
    IMG_20210209_082057_resized_20210209_082328279.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 137

danny-79

For a temporary quick fix use a good blob of blue tack. That will keep it on the road safely for now

Graz66

For a temporary quick fix use a good blob of blue tack. That will keep it on the road safely for now

Cheers, i've actually secured it with some electricians tape for now, but blue tack sounds like a good idea. Obviously in the long run i would like a more permanent fix.

I bought the bass from Thomann's, as it was the only left handed one i could get ( No stock, or potential stock coming into the UK ). I'd rather not send it back, with all the hassle that involves due to Brexit ( took over 3 weeks to get to me ) and they can't send me a replacement as they have no other stock. This was the only one they had on back order.

If it's a relatively easy fix, i'd rather keep the bass.

tbonesullivan

Oh man! That kinda sucks. Definitely was glued on at one point. Guess it some how came off. Hopefully they can give you a good recommendation to stick it back on. I also wouldn't want to return it, given how hard they are to come by.

Also because it's pearl blue.

Graz66

Oh man! That kinda sucks. Definitely was glued on at one point. Guess it some how came off. Hopefully they can give you a good recommendation to stick it back on. I also wouldn't want to return it, given how hard they are to come by.

Also because it's pearl blue.

Cheers mate, hopefully they'll come up with a fix. It must been some type of glue they use, hence the brown residue.

Not sure why it's come unstuck to be honest. When i got it there was no apparent damage to the the boxes or case. Looking at it, there appears to be more glue on one side than the other, so perhaps it wasn't as strong as it should have been, coupled with it being in transit with the courier for over three weeks which probably hasn't helped.

Graz66

I had an email from Strings & Things this morning. They have had a reply from EBMM USA saying that they're just going to send a new pickup out.

danny-79

Result!

I’d at a guess say it’s hot glue, glue gun glue style that’s originally used, strong (not strong enough in this case) with a bit of flex in it to absorb.

Handy having a spare pup anyways

Top Bottom