• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

rs43506

Hello all

I have been reading for awhile and picked up a wonderful used Silo Special. What an amazing guitar!!! I also own a Gibson Les Paul, an Ovation, and of course a Wolfgang. This Silo beats them all hands down!! The Neck is amazing.

Anyway, I am now determined to order an Axis. I was wondering what the wait time is and how specifying a quilt top affects this. I am specifically thinking of ordering one in trans blue specifying a quilt premium top.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Ryan

kbaim

Howdy.

Many of us here have done the special order thingy.
Standard wait is about 3 months. With a month or 2 extra sometimes due to production scheduling, wood availability, employee motivation, and things of that sort.
KEITH

Raz

Welcome to the...

forum (ha I tricked you koog)...anyway have you tried an Axis out? I am just wondering because I found the neck small (width wise) and I play a Silo Special and a Wolfie...anyway ignore me, I'm just bored at work... :eek:

dwf1004

We ignore Razball anyways, so he's on the right track... :p

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the addiction! As a former EVH/former Axis/current EVH owner (bought and sold to get to where I'm at now), I think the neck is great on both guitars, but I feel more comfortable on the EVH than I do on the Axis.

That's not to slam the Axis; they're both great guitars in either incarnation, and I think that you would be happy in your choice. However, just to be on the safe side, as Razball had suggested, you should at least try one out first if you have the opportunity to make sure.

Oh, and to fall in love with it and reach fail-safe mode about your purchase. :)

Welcome again...there's a lot of good people on this board, and you'll learn a lot!

Raz

You know Darrell, when I learned you were 30, I almost fell off my chair...here I was thinking and fearful of offending you with our little jokes and all, imagining for some reason that you were older...but you are actually younger...ok the gloves are off now, baby...oh dang, I forgot you wear that MODERATOR label around your neck...(shifts gear back into SAFE MODE, for now) :D

rs43506

I have played an Axis and immediately fell in love with it. I didn't buy it though, because I wanted to order one to get exactly what I want. Speaking of which, how do the $500 upcharge premium tops compare to the standard run of the mill tops?

I called Musicians Friend and they said they can order one with the premium top for $1751. Is this a bad price?

Thanks!
Ryan

Raz

dwf1004 said:
Bring it on, Razberry. :p :D
You wouldn't happen to be Irish now would ya?

and I apologize on behalf of Darrell and myself forum for hi-jacking :D

dfrady

Last i heard there was a 4 month wait, but i could be wrong. The premium tops are very, very nice if you can afford the extra $500.00, I've got a Trans Red Premium Flame Top that is very nice. Quilt Vs. Flame. Quilts are a little more mellow while flames are a little more punchy. Hope this helps !! Good luck on what ever you decide to do !!!
:D

koogie2k

Welcome to the addiction! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! .....oh man......their it goes again....that voice....can't resist it any longer......AAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH......

Premium tops are really nice. I also happen to like the standard ones that come out. They can beat the heck out of some made by those "other" guys....heheheheh :cool:

Top Bottom