• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

MarcMurder

ive recently been on an obsessive search for a sabre bass to cover my 4 string needs, but im starting to thinkthat i should just get a sterling instead. anyone have some insight on if i should keep looking or if a HH sterling would be just fine?

mmbassplayer

Marc... Sterling 4HH will do anything you need it to and do it well. There is a nice one now in the vault that is black with a flamed neck with herringbone stripe. Having seen your Basses I don’t know if black is a bright enough color for you. JOSH

Golem

I’m wondering if HH is your confirmed preference by experience, or perhaps you’ve just adopted the historical default configuration of the Sabre bass ... dating back to the pre-EB times.

Reason for inquiring is that if you happen upon an available Sterling HS you may wanna look into it. Got a pair myself. They are relatively rare but do turn up. If you wind up with one, consider yourself lucky. Go bet its s/n on the Powerball !

MarcMurder

I’m wondering if HH is your confirmed preference by experience, or perhaps you’ve just adopted the historical default configuration of the Sabre bass ... dating back to the pre-EB times.

Reason for inquiring is that if you happen upon an available Sterling HS you may wanna look into it. Got a pair myself. They are relatively rare but do turn up. If you wind up with one, consider yourself lucky. Go bet its s/n on the Powerball !

Weird flex, but okay.

Yeah. I like HH. Wish I ordered my ray in an HH

MarcMurder

Marc... Sterling 4HH will do anything you need it to and do it well. There is a nice one now in the vault that is black with a flamed neck with herringbone stripe. Having seen your Basses I don’t know if black is a bright enough color for you. JOSH

Im more and more leaning towards a sterling. I really like smaller bodies. Sometimes I wonder if I'd like a sterling 5 over a ray 5. Buuut I gotta stay on focus for a 4 string. Otherwise I'll never own one.
Tbh I'll probably go the sterling route for a 4 string unless something like a reflex appears soon

N4860

That one in the vault is not a 4HH, it's just a 4H.

MarcMurder

To be fair, especially to golem, I may order an Hs just to have a different combination. The 5 string is what I use for almost all recordings and for all live shows. So it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't have an HH.

The more I give up on the sabre the less I want an HH. I'm even really liking a caprice

GregP

Im more and more leaning towards a sterling. I really like smaller bodies. Sometimes I wonder if I'd like a sterling 5 over a ray 5. Buuut I gotta stay on focus for a 4 string. Otherwise I'll never own one.
Tbh I'll probably go the sterling route for a 4 string unless something like a reflex appears soon

If you like smaller bodies you may very well dig the short scale stingray. I’m over the moon with mine. :)

wazzel

I am looking for a 4-string myself. I am holding out on the stingray special since I really prefer my sterling 5H over the my stingray 5H. Got my fingers crossed that the weight reduction and colors from the current stingray line up make it over to the sterling in 2021.

Edmang

To be fair, especially to golem, I may order an Hs just to have a different combination. The 5 string is what I use for almost all recordings and for all live shows. So it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't have an HH.

The more I give up on the sabre the less I want an HH. I'm even really liking a caprice

As far as I know the HS option has been discontinued. You would have to get a used instrument for this.

I do really like the HS so agree that it is worth considering. My first Ray was an HS

MarcMurder

Correct. I thought maybe the boys would still be able to make one, but nope; can't even make a special order. I'm. Thinking I'd hold out for a while to see if anything cool comes along.

Golem

Oof. For that price I'd rather go new. But I'd be going on 5 string number 4 and no 4 string.
Gonna be a while before that price drops. I sorted their 32 page used bass catalog for Most Recent First. That bass is in the middle of page 2 of 32 pages. A rather newish arrival.

MarcMurder

It would be nice, but im not gonna keep too much an eye on it. Since I'm looking for a 4 string I'm holding off and hoping for a new fancy release sometime soon. Unless a sick dead comes by

Top Bottom