• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

edhalen

******Updated pictures on P2******

Two is better!!!! Wednesday can't get here soon enough. :) I'll update this post with better pics, etc. after it gets here and I give it the once over. Stoked!

Last edited:

jlf599

Congrats! I saw that one, too, and seriously thought about it for a minute! :)

I hope it's as good as it looks!

xjbebop

Congrats! Very similar to one I got a smokin' deal on some years ago... great guitar!
That figuring is fabulous!

RSG

I saw that one and took too long to decide on it. Was priced fair considering the huge uptick in Axis prices lately. Congrats!

edhalen

Update - bummed. :( 2 1/2" crack on the back of the guitar. The guitar was in the case with no additional padding to secure it (not sure what you all think about that - I don't think it's usually a problem). The case was packed securely in the box. Either A - these people saw this and decided to take their chances NOT disclosing it, B - honestly didn't look at the back of the guitar and never saw it, or C - this happened during shipment (not impossible I suppose). I've just reached out to the seller and included these pics. What would you do? The thing is in excellent condition other than this. Trouble is I don't know if it's just a finish crack (which I could live with) or if it goes into the wood. I hesitate to take off the back plate to investigate further for fear that could make it worse. I welcome your thoughts on this as I decide what to do.

RSG

Since it leads back to the screw on the far left, it's probably a stress crack due to over-tightening the neck screw. The angle/lighting of the picture probably makes it look worse than it is. Finish cracks happen and it sucks finding them on a new-to-you guitar, but most important is how it sounds and plays.

If the seller didn't disclose it in the listing, you may want to ask for a few $$$ back, but it kind of goes with the territory of buying a used guitar. Reverb's condition rating leaves some flexibility for sellers to claim their guitars are in "very good" or "excellent" condition and still allow for things like this because it's fairly common and can happen during shipping (at no fault to the seller).

Still a very nice guitar regardless.

beej

Agreed, looks like over-tightening.

I'd probably ask for a small refund/price reduction. It's the back side of the guitar, after all, so less of an issue, but it depends how much that matters to you.

edhalen

Thanks very much guys. I appreciate the thoughts/wisdom and taking the time to respond. This thing plays GREAT and sounds INSANE just as my Pacific Blue Burst ASS does. At the end of the day it is a 15 year old guitar and I suppose I can chalk it up to the "mojo" of the guitar. Battle scars if you will :). Other than that it has barely a mark on it. A bit of fret wear but man, this guitar SINGS!!! Off to polish the frets, wonder wipe the neck, restring with Slinky 10's and polish the body. They set it up at their shop and the intonation is perfect! Thanks again.

EDIT - I'll post some better pics soon.

edhalen

UPDATE - gave the guitar a once over - thorough cleaning, wonder wipe, fret polish, fresh slinky 10's. AMAZING guitar! Plays incredibly easy - smooth as silk. Feels nice and broken in. Sounds really really good as well. ALIVE! Other than the documented finish crack near the neck plate it is spotless - especially for a 15 year old guitar. It's in incredible shape. Updated pics below. What a color and top! Love this thing. A keeper for sure!

Top Bottom