• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

daneford

Hello all!

It's been looooong while since I've had a proper NGD post around here.

I've bought and sold numerous S types over the years, and outside most of the silos I've owned, they never really seem to stick. After a major purge last year prior to a cross country move, I was once again lacking in the sss department. When I saw this pop up in near mint condition at an excellent price, I did the only sensible thing and bought it.

I really only had a couple of criteria; maple board, sss, trem, and 22 frets.

I'm sort of lukewarm on plain white guitars and had intended on refinishing it in seafoam or surf green, but changed my mind pretty immediately once I took delivery. It's not a plain white, it's pearl, so it's got a subtle sparkle to it. It's beautiful in person.

This is silo #4 (the 8th total in 25 years), so I feel like I know this model fairly well by now. Not sure how much of a "honeymoon period" I get after all this time. That being said, this plays as good and possibly better than the 3 I already have. It's lightweight, resonant, and has a killer neck. I love the stock pickups, too. This is my perfect "s type" guitar.

I always seem to end up back where I started as a kid in the 90s, playing a silhouette.

The guy who originally owned it reluctantly moved it along when he was no longer able to play, and was happy it was going somewhere it would be appreciated.

Maybe one of these days I'll branch out and get a Sabre. :D

Thanks for reading if you've made it this far.

Pics from the shop:
silo.jpg
silo2.jpg
silo3.jpg .jpg
silo4.jpg

GWDavis28

Congrats, my first was a Silo Special SSS, hard tail though. Love the older style trem plate!!!

Enjoy, Glenn |B)

Last edited:

Tubes4Tone

Excellent choice, indeed ! I have 2 Silo Specials...a '96 and a '99. They are lifetime keepers.

Top Bottom