• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

wannarock8

Over the weekend I picked up a used Reflex HH hardtail piezo with Game Changer circuit.
I thought it would be great to have a hard tail guitar with those great sounding Axis pickups. And the body on this one is apparently chambered, with a mahogany tone block.
There are quite a few pickup switching options, and none of them sounded bad. Some sounded great for glassy clean tones. It has a piezo pickup too, which can be combined with the magnetic pickups. I want to check out the clean tones I can get from combining the two.

Of course, I'm looking forward to cranking the bridge humbucker into an overdriven amp.

Reflex 1.jpg
Reflex 2.jpg

Last edited:

headcrash

Hey, these are always onmy "don't know if I might like em" -list. How does it compare to your Axis's, in terms of playability, size and - of course - the neck?

wannarock8

How does it compare to your Axis's, in terms of playability, size and - of course - the neck?
The body is about the same. Only the lower bout is really different, with the Reflex being more rounded and therefore extending a little lower than the Axis. I mean I held the Axis in front of the Reflex and could see a little of the lower bout where the back strap button is sticking out behind the Axis' lower bout.

The Reflex's action is nice and low and the neck is very comfortable to play. I think players who find the string spacing on the Axis too tight and the neck too slim would like the Reflex. The Reflex feels like the neck is a little wider and the strings are spaced a little further apart. The Reflex neck feels like a wide/flat profile, though not flat like an 80s shredder guitar, whereas the Axis neck feels like it has a slight V contour.

headcrash

The body is about the same. Only the lower bout is really different, with the Reflex being more rounded and therefore extending a little lower than the Axis. I mean I held the Axis in front of the Reflex and could see a little of the lower bout where the back strap button is sticking out behind the Axis' lower bout.

The Reflex's action is nice and low and the neck is very comfortable to play. I think players who find the string spacing on the Axis too tight and the neck too slim would like the Reflex. The Reflex feels like the neck is a little wider and the strings are spaced a little further apart. The Reflex neck feels like a wide/flat profile, though not flat like an 80s shredder guitar, whereas the Axis neck feels like it has a slight V contour.

Thanks for the description!
Hmmm... recently sold my beloved Albert Lee, which I hardly played the over last 8 .. 10 years because I'm kinda spoiled by the Axis neck. The AL neck to me feels like you are describing the Reflex's neck...

Top Bottom