• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jones4tone

Ok, this guitar was delivered this morning. Quick first reaction:

I haven't plugged it in yet - took it out of the case long enough to take a look (it was 50ºF outside when delivered, so nothing too drastic) and then put it back in the case to continue acclimating. (Yes, I'll prove to you knuckleheads that it exists in the next day or two!)

1. The finish is not exactly what I expected.
2. I am in NO SENSE disappointed!

Whatever your expectation when you first see one, it won't be met. But it will be exceeded! I think it is truly impossible to capture that finish in a photograph. A video could get closer, but we humans get double the sparkle from our stereoscopic vision, so, I don't believe it can ever be fully experienced other than in person.

The ebony sans inlays is amazing. I can't wait much longer to plug this thing in and play!

Congrats to the whole EBMM crew for designing and building this run.

Fro

You'll find that it'll be hard to put down once you start playing it.

xjbebop

Outstanding...and Congrats!!!

btw, does it kinda look like this??

5JXXO3S8ija3WB3xLVETpEKz3FKPSgqVItAYE5qRdwzNwDASoXfYgPCwwcztQp2iymfZi0A9rPf102J96z8GysQek3eiJ1JGxjFwN1JCT4ZiU3h2qe5KndKl7QudBt0Re_GRdczRDHA_rhgsDzTJ-1ajtiWbv7yRLoThe2zdn_ZbChF85td3ruRgDFBdTyfuFrN_lsXXhTqUaoBs3iFhlJGQulXLf7wtrzNZ71JBZ-2TCZGkWvL_jshx2cHcmpKQV6-uzhOCMczBmoGAIqsegbgY_VfJWVODTqNrFTnL2hnS1Tfn0yXNwSYYXAlbxhYJCUJGfLsvOEYgMdA6SlKBzl406VJ3DFHOZdYN3CJDsMThil_1O06UkzG5_vB8u3tRt6_tUeAPXtmjcl7Znn7ug2RkNNiSJ3yUQBKF7VOZo1Y0Qs6OiEfMVgKeSDBVyFaMkJKl1bj7Lxxh15o49M3fLycrHtxPlN0KDD8ysV6ybZaEaRhvIJCkHgkN05u0D2Hmrty36hKxANrU78L2ZwO-QWWYm6OnI7duGd5O1TNcJ03BdpPrw_XY-qI8v92XjRibooiW0B9px8UBS6Hn7_mR8hp5msY1WBJNkLTJwQ3a5X4My3ghnG89CCI16tjIG-342mliHqj5QiS-I1c4xBYY-OtjYEYAUoU2fy4a5R29Lw=w785-h750-no

jones4tone

Enjoy it, the HH L3 is a beast - and that roasted maple neck & blank ebony fretboard is a killer combo.

PS thanks for the order!

A beast indeed! And yes, the ebony fretboard is splendid. Such a comfortable guitar to play, all the way around.

Thanks for your help with the purchase - truly a pleasure dealing with you, sir!

jones4tone

Outstanding...and Congrats!!!

btw, does it kinda look like this??

Thanks! Your picture captures the color pretty faithfully. I've looked at all the photos posted here of this run, and I haven't seen one that conveys the depth of the sparkle for someone who hasn't seen one in person. I've got studio lights and the whole 9 yards, and while I absolutely intend to photograph it, I have no expectation that I will capture realistic images where the sparkle is concerned.

jones4tone

Ok, pics at last.

A thought on understanding the color of the Starry Night: I don't think you would be too far off if you separated the margin (edges) of the body from the rest of the body. The margin has a distinct blue shade, which varies in width from one instrument to another from what I've seen. The rest of the body, you perhaps could best describe the color as "sparkle." The sparkle flakes are so numerous that to a great degree it takes on the color of whatever is reflected in it. That's the best way I know to describe it.

However you describe it, it's stunning to look at in person, feels and sounds great to play, and it's a forever guitar for me.

8N6A3106.jpg 8N6A3109.jpg 8N6A3161.jpg 8N6A3164.jpg

Pott

Woa those pics are gorgeous!!

On this, it definitely looks bluer AND more burst than my Valentine, by far.
Do you know if the pictures accentuate it, or if it's the same in real? If the latter, then it seems as if the finish can be quite different between guitars...

agt

Congrats! Amazing looking guitar!

Amazing photos too. I have not seen the finish in person, but your photos seem to capture more nuances that many others I have seen. I bet the finish is truly spectacular in person.

Enjoy!

jones4tone

Thanks, guys. I don't know this, but my sense is that the bursts are sprayed by hand, so there are variances from one to the next. Maybe one of the EBMM guys can either confirm or correct that?

I don't know what I could have done to better capture the impact of the finish, but when you look at and move the guitar in the light so that the sparkles "flash," it's so much more than what you see in the pictures, even.

behrens

So lovely! That's the one other model beyond the St. Vincent that I got that I contemplated for this run. Congrats!!

jones4tone

So lovely! That's the one other model beyond the St. Vincent that I got that I contemplated for this run. Congrats!!

Thanks! I have my eyes on a Valentine as well. It's got a unique combination of sounds, seems like.

behrens

Hehe, I dropped on a Valentine this year for the same reason. I got a NAMM one off. I LOVE it.
You won't be disappointed. I grab it first now...we'll, my St. Vincent has made that questionable. ;)

Top Bottom