• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dibart77

Welcome to Day 13 of my annual New Year's New Guitar Days (NYNGD)!

Thanks for the kind words and comments on NYNGD #2021-12!

DOWN TO THE FINAL FOUR (and only 156 days later than the date it should be launching on 12/28/2021)!

Since today EBMM announced the futuristic Kaizen guitar, how about we make today's NYNGD a throwback 27 years to 1995! That's right... an Edward Van Halen model!

Check. This. Out.

This is an EBMM EVH with a natural finish and a lovely quilt top. This guitar is LITERALLY as it left the factory. Zero dings. Zero scratches. Zero fretwear. Spotless fretboard. No pitting on the chrome hardware. The case is even like new!

You open the case, and that smell of an EBMM in a G&G hardshell case washes over you, the same way it did when I got my first EBMM EVH in 1992.

You take it out of the case and plug it in.

You play a chord and the realize that this guitar is the best feeling guitar you have ever felt. It's THAT good. In 1995 when it was new, this neck felt like it was 30 years old. Now, 27 years later, it's all that and more! And yet the neck is SPOTLESS.

I know that the natural finish EVH isn't as desirable as a pink or a green, but this guitar is such an amazing time capsule I couldn't pass it up. Also, the seller is a standup guy from whom I have purchased several guitars, and he sold it to me for $7k LESS than some folks are trying to get for these. The price was super reasonable and probably what I would have paid before Eddie passed.

So excited to share this beauty with you all. It's so understated but simply amazing.

This is definitely a Top 4 guitar and could even be #1, right?

I'll be back soon with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day! The finish line is in sight! Only 3 left from 2021's run! Thanks for looking everyone!

large_0001.jpg

large_0002.jpg

large_0003.jpg

large_0004.jpg

large_0005.jpg

large_0006.jpg

large_0007.jpg

large_0008.jpg

classes_1992-2021.jpg

Past Days:
The new EBMM message board limits the number of characters in a post so I can't put a list of direct links in the post. Click here for an index.

(The back story in case you're new to my NYNGD: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. :) The same question came up during my NYNGD posts a few years ago and my answer was pretty detailed and well thought-out, so please check it out here!)

(Also, in case anybody gets any funny ideas -- these guitars are not at my house. They are all in my very secure and alarmed studio facility. I usually only have two guitars floating around the house...)

Last edited:

GWDavis28

Wow Jeff that is in outstanding shape!!!!

Congrats and thanx for sharing. Glenn |B)

GoKart Mozart

Oh man, THAT's awesome! Natural followed by sunburst have always been my favorite colors that were on the VH model guitar.

The natural takes me back! Back in the mid-90's in a small town with no local MM dealer, the closest I could get to looking at one was going to the book store in the mall (remember those?) and thumbing through "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer. It had a beautiful VH model in natural set against a blue background on the cover.

Sweat

Wow Jeff, thats sweet and does look absolutely mint! Nice snag. Like was said how do you find some of these. Amazing!

dibart77

Where do you FIND these guitars Jeff!?!
Like was said how do you find some of these. Amazing!

Hi all, thanks for the kind words on this beauty. Nothing too cloak and dagger here on how I find these special ones... You all could have bought it too -- the previous owner listed it on eBay or Reverb (I don't recall which). It's someone I had bought several EBMMs from in the past and he has always been a trustworthy seller. I emailed him and we made a deal direct and that was all she wrote.

DevRock

Welcome to Day 13 of my annual New Year's New Guitar Days (NYNGD)!

Thanks for the kind words and comments on NYNGD #2021-12!

DOWN TO THE FINAL FOUR (and only 156 days later than the date it should be launching on 12/28/2021)!

Since today EBMM announced the futuristic Kaizen guitar, how about we make today's NYNGD a throwback 27 years to 1995! That's right... an Edward Van Halen model!

Check. This. Out.

This is an EBMM EVH with a natural finish and a lovely quilt top. This guitar is LITERALLY as it left the factory. Zero dings. Zero scratches. Zero fretwear. Spotless fretboard. No pitting on the chrome hardware. The case is even like new!

You open the case, and that smell of an EBMM in a G&G hardshell case washes over you, the same way it did when I got my first EBMM EVH in 1992.

You take it out of the case and plug it in.

You play a chord and the realize that this guitar is the best feeling guitar you have ever felt. It's THAT good. In 1995 when it was new, this neck felt like it was 30 years old. Now, 27 years later, it's all that and more! And yet the neck is SPOTLESS.

I know that the natural finish EVH isn't as desirable as a pink or a green, but this guitar is such an amazing time capsule I couldn't pass it up. Also, the seller is a standup guy from whom I have purchased several guitars, and he sold it to me for $7k LESS than some folks are trying to get for these. The price was super reasonable and probably what I would have paid before Eddie passed.

So excited to share this beauty with you all. It's so understated but simply amazing.

This is definitely a Top 4 guitar and could even be #1, right?

I'll be back soon with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day! The finish line is in sight! Only 3 left from 2021's run! Thanks for looking everyone!

Past Days:
The new EBMM message board limits the number of characters in a post so I can't put a list of direct links in the post. Click here for an index.

(The back story in case you're new to my NYNGD: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. :) The same question came up during my NYNGD posts a few years ago and my answer was pretty detailed and well thought-out, so please check it out here!)

(Also, in case anybody gets any funny ideas -- these guitars are not at my house. They are all in my very secure and alarmed studio facility. I usually only have two guitars floating around the house...)

Def not my favorite EVH top, but an EVH nonetheless! Congrats! I'm sure someone can school me, but the EVH and earlier AXIS models have THE perfect neck. I picked up a few, I dunno, around 10 years ago or so at a music store and the necks felt completely different to me and I hated the feel (I recall these being when they started not staining the headstocks). Had some process changed over the years? Not that I'm in the market, but that spooked me from ever looking at newer models.

GoKart Mozart

Def not my favorite EVH top, but an EVH nonetheless! Congrats! I'm sure someone can school me, but the EVH and earlier AXIS models have THE perfect neck. I picked up a few, I dunno, around 10 years ago or so at a music store and the necks felt completely different to me and I hated the feel (I recall these being when they started not staining the headstocks). Had some process changed over the years? Not that I'm in the market, but that spooked me from ever looking at newer models.

You're not the only one. I've got 5 different Axis guitars:

1997 - regular Axis (purple)
2000 - Axis Sport MM90 (sunburst)
2007 - Axis SS BFR (natural Koa)
2012 - regular Axis (natural)
2018 - Axis SS BFR (aqua quilt)

The '97 and '00 have the classic "chunky" profile that I always have associated with these guitars; the '07, '12, and '18 all are noticeably thinner. I've always read on the forum that the profile has stayed the same and that any differences are just due to the hand sanding that takes place during manufacturing but I dunno...

Top Bottom