• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dibart77

Welcome to Day 3 of my annual New Year's New Guitar Days (NYNGD)!

Alright, we're rolling now! Thanks for the kind words and comments on yesterday's #2022-2!

I'm not sure I'll be able to deliver two guitars a day -- this might stretch past New Years... it just takes too long to prep each guitar (and I have family and work obligations this week). Anyway...

Today's NYNGD is a Silhouette Special with a floating Floyd Rose. As most of you know, I much prefer the 24-fret Silhouette to the 22-fret Silo Special, but if it's got a floating Floyd I just can't resist! This one is in a gorgeous Pearl Gray finish with a rosewood fretboard. HSS pickups. Sounds great and plays great!

I'll be back soon with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day! Thanks for looking everyone!

large_0001.jpg

large_0002.jpg

large_0003.jpg

large_0004.jpg

large_0005.jpg

large_0006.jpg

large_0007.jpg

large_0008.jpg

large_0009.jpg

large_0010.jpg

classes_1992-2022.jpg

Past Days:
The new EBMM message board limits the number of characters in a post so I can't put a list of direct links in the post. Click here for an index.

(The back story in case you're new to my NYNGD: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. :) The same question came up during my NYNGD posts a few years ago and my answer was pretty detailed and well thought-out, so please check it out here!)

(Also, in case anybody gets any funny ideas -- these guitars are not at my house. They are all in my very secure and alarmed studio facility. I usually only have two guitars floating around the house...)

Last edited:

ohbugger

Very cool! I've recently been bonding again with my Floyd Silhouette, and can relate to preferring the 24-fret originals (considering I've gotten rid of all my Specials).

Can you share what year this one was made?

fbecir

Cool combo.
The Floyd Rose looks so massive on the small body of a Silo, but with the Grey colour, it looks nice.

GWDavis28

As you know I love Silo Specials Jeff, that pretty cool, what's the back story on it, one off, non-US run?

Thanx, Glenn |B)

dibart77

As you know I love Silo Specials Jeff, that pretty cool, what's the back story on it, one off, non-US run?

It's a good question, Glenn. According to the serial number database, this guitar is from May 1, 2009. And, AFAIK, Floyd Silos were long discontinued by then. I know they did a "Classic Reissue" run of 24-fret HH Floyd Silos in 2012 (I have the Pacific Blue Burst, Trans Purple, Trans Teal and Sledge, and I skipped the Natural). But AFAIK they never did a Silo Special reissue and, if they did, it should be a vintage trem as the Special I don't think was originally offered with a Floyd. So this is either a one-off artist guitar, a limited run thing, or... I'll see what Derek can tell me.

Beauty!! Aren't you the official "Music Man Instruments Historical Museum" by now?? (y)

LOL. At least for Axis and Silhouettes, and also for Lukes (3 Luke 1's and a number of Luke 2's as you will see in the next couple weeks). And then more recently LIII's and Majesties.

GWDavis28

It's a good question, Glenn. According to the serial number database, this guitar is from May 1, 2009. And, AFAIK, Floyd Silos were long discontinued by then. I know they did a "Classic Reissue" run of 24-fret HH Floyd Silos in 2012 (I have the Pacific Blue Burst, Trans Purple, Trans Teal and Sledge, and I skipped the Natural). But AFAIK they never did a Silo Special reissue and, if they did, it should be a vintage trem as the Special I don't think was originally offered with a Floyd. So this is either a one-off artist guitar, a limited run thing, or... I'll see what Derek can tell me.
Jeff, you are correct, the Floyd was never offered on the Silo Special. Can't wait to hear what Derek has to say. Please say Hi to him, Derek is a super guy.

Thanx, Glenn |B)

headcrash

That one, as the name tells, is double-special. I've always had a soft spot für Silo Spec's.

That finish looks nice, kinda like an inbetween a sparkle and a pearl.

Also looking forward to the background of that run!

Ishmun

WOW!

The Sil Special was my first EBMM and still one of my faves - had no idea they made a floyd run, would have loved to get my hands on one! And the colour is Ace!

To me, its the unfairly overlooked guitar of the entire range...hope they highlight it again in future with more marketing/bells & whistles

Top Bottom