• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

chriseb

I use ubuntu 7.0.4 (low latency kernel) on my Dell Inspiron 9300.
It's not optimal (only 1 GB ram and ~2GHZ cpu) but it works fine for what I want.
Oh, and I use an m-audio mobile pre (usb) in preference to my native sound card (the m-audio has far superior sound quality, but the drivers are poor in windows I find)

For software, I say keep it free :)
ecasound (command line) and either:
Audacity (also for windows) or something like
rosegarden

MusicManJP6

Hey Jimothy!

Dude, I'll tell you my setup that I am using with great results. I've got a PC - it's a P4 3.0Ghz w/ 1.5Gb of RAM. I've got XP Pro and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum. I use Acid Pro 6.0d as my recording software - very intuitive, works with my VSTs, and the looping functions are a super time saver. EZdrummer for drums and I take care of all guitar and bass with an SM57 plugged right into the front panel of the Sound Blaster's drive-sized inputs with it's built-in mic pre-amp. The input interface is installed below my CD-Roms so I can plug cables into the front of the computer instead of having to find the input on the back of the computer! Very cool, and it adds the mic pre too.

You are using a POD - which can plug straight into any sound card. Very cool, if you want to record with effects straight to a track. But what if you want to take the effects off and use different ones? You'll have to re-record that track. This is where effects in the software come into play. BUT, if you want to add ANY effects within the recording software, you must have an ASIO (Audio Signal Input Output) capable sound card to be able to hear the effects in REAL-TIME. This is a MUST IMO. The Audigy cards all support ASIO 2.0 so no worries there for me. If you do not have ASIO you will not be able to hear the effects you apply without an unbearable delay between the time you hear the sound and the actual effect!! ASIO makes Guitar Rig, Revalver, Amplitube and the like usable too! For the longest time I used Guitar Rig for recording with pretty decent results (after some tweaking).

Anyway, I highly recommend a setup similar to mine. And, I agree 100% about Vista - AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS! I had it installed for a few months and several programs had bad compatibility problems. Acid would let me make a song but then wouldn't let me open it afterwards!! It only opened in 'compatibility mode', but was still not too compatible. Very frustrating...

Good luck!

Jimothy JP7

Good stuff Adam, thanks for the input, I'll definitely check out a Sound Blaster if you swear by it. I'm thinking about just using the Pod for a good heavy distortion tone and maybe to run bass through, but when it comes to clean tones, I'll be using the piezo extensively, at least until I program up a clean tone I'm satisfied with. The piezo sounds great straight from the guitar into the computer, so I figure with a little more power and some tightening up it should give me what Im looking for. I'm at least going for 4gb ram, I dont think I should need too much more that that, not at first anyway.

Thanks again to everybody for the enlightenment, as soon as I get everything settled I'll be posting clips left and right.

Top Bottom