• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

drTStingray

A question for the very knowledgable here, I suspect.

I have never seen a peach coloured MM bass (other than pics of Tony Levin's early SR5 and the pic of the SR4 in the EBMM colours thread). I've never seen one for sale, unlike some of the other rare (ish) colours like Blueburst etc, which seem to crop up from time to time.

Did this colour actually get used in general production, and if so, what is the view on the chance of ever finding one of these for sale?

iamcatwarrior

I think that it was used in production, and judging by the picture in the "What color is this?" thread, that bass is from the late 1980's -- even the bridge mutes tell the story. The finish of that bass itself looks completely original and not redone from some other finish per the request of the owner.

That color was probably discontinued over a decade ago. If you wanted a Music Man instrument in that finish, the subsequent search might actually become something of a quest....

bovinehost

Administrator
I talked to Tony about that bass and it was his understanding, if I remember correctly, that the "Barbie Flesh Pink*" finish was terribly unpopular and was only available for a year or so - and it was his guess that hardly anyone wanted that color. He likes it because it looks so cool under stage lights (well, plus it's a great bass).

I'm going from memory so might be wrong.

Jack

*other words were used to describe that color, words which I shall not utter in mixed company.

iamcatwarrior

"Barbie flesh pink." :p That's hilarious. Pretty much dead on, too.

Does Tony Levin still have that bass in the first place? I only ask because he mentions something about a fire in his barn many years ago, during which many amps, basses, and even Chapman Sticks were destroyed. (One of the "victims" was his self-commissioned Stingray 3.) I wonder if it was also burned. That would be a tragedy if it was.

bovinehost

Administrator
PinkRay1.jpg

A friend of mine (I think he posts here, too) refinished his Stingray.......

GGK

Lavender

I know Bass Central listed a used FL-L Lavender Sterling 4H on their site (used). It is quite an interseting hue, maybe worth a look see.
Happy Hunting

ptg

I know you guys are gonna kill me for this, bit I love that color! Seriously! At one point I was considering getting a custom paint job and that's the color it was going to be!

Okay...fire away... ***ducks for cover***

drTStingray

Cheers, guys for the replies.

Looks like there isn't much chance of finding one of these - if they're late eighties/early nineties, I guess we're talking bridge mutes and birds-eye maple necks.

I know you EBMM guys don't give too much away on production numbers, but are we talking about a dozen basses manufactured in this colour or a hundred? Possibly the rarest of EBMM production colours?

davidjbass

Pic of peach stingray

Here is a pic of a stingray 4 in peach

Last edited:

MK Bass Weed

Where is The Number One Wife Burried??

Since the end zone at Giants Stadium was taken, I just opted out, took the car and the MAC, computer...with a whopping 8 megs of RAM.

Prince was big as I remember, he was wearing a Peach suit in the movie 'Sign O the Times'..

I love peaches...but that wasn't the reason: the dealer, as I recall, FOCUS II guitars on Long Island told me to get the 'special order color'...I just loved the neck...

Anyhoots...it came with a white Pickguard and Pickup cover, which I ordered in BLACK..
Reason being, I thought it would look like a creamsicle, and it did. EBMM sent me the correct color guard and pu cover a week later...

Smallmouth_Bass

That was certainly an interesting colour, but I can see why it didn't last long. We should start a "Short Lived Bass Finishes" thread. Anything that didn't last more than two years, Limited Editions excluded.

drTStingray

Here is a pic of a stingray 4 in peach

Cheers for posting that - the colour looks quite different in that light - a cool colour I think. Probably not surprisingly though, I still haven't found one for sale :(

I noticed one or two listed in Rod Trussbroken's serial number lists so other people have MM basses in this colour!

Grand Wazoo

Correct me if I am wrong but I recall having seen a salmon pink SR4 way back in the late 70's but for the life of me I don't recall which artist or band it was.

Musicman Nut

Correct me if I am wrong but I recall having seen a salmon pink SR4 way back in the late 70's but for the life of me I don't recall which artist or band it was.

Maybe so but it only would have been a refin, but still it's a very cool color.

Top Bottom