• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

LeftyLB

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but being left-handed the only SR I have ever played is my own, which is second-hand, so I can't compare.

I have notived that all the pick up poles are not the same height. The poles for the E and the G strings are noticably set much lower than the middle A and D strings.

Whilst I reckon that that is probably right, can someone please confirm that this is the case and it is normal. Also the pick up itself seems slightly angled into the body and is not set flat.

Thanks for any feedback!!!

Rod Trussbroken

Hi LLB,

Perfectly normal for the outside poles to be lower than the inside ones. The fret board is not perfectly flat although it may feel that way. It has a slight arc or curve known as the radius. If the string height is adjusted correctly, the A and D strings will be slightly higher than the E and G and further away from the pickup. For comfortable playing, the string should generally follow the neck radius. If the strings are adjusted the same height all the way across, then they will automatically follow the radius. The centre pole are raised slightly to allow even volume between the strings.

After adjusting string height the same all the way across, I usually find the G a little too high for my liking. What I then do is lower the G 1/2 a turn and step down the A and D proportionately to meet the G.

As to pickup adjustment this should put you in the ballpark:

While depressing the E string at the last fret, measure the distance from the bottom of that string to the top of the pickup magnet for that string. Adjust for a distance of 4/32 inches. Do the same with the G string but, this time, aim for a distance of 3/32 inches. Final adjustment may have to be made to the G side by ear, so that the volume is even across all strings.

Cheers :)

Last edited:

thumper

Rod Trussbroken said:
Hi LLB,

Perfectly normal for the outside poles to be lower than the inside ones. The fret board is not perfectly flat although it may feel that way. It has a slight arc or curve known as the radius. If the string height is adjusted correctly, the A and D strings will be slightly higher than the E and G and further away from the pickup. For comfortable playing, the string should generally follow the neck radius. If the strings are adjusted the same height all the way across, then they will automatically follow the radius. The centre pole are raised slightly to allow even volume between the strings.

After adjusting string height the same all the way across, I usually find the G a little too high for my liking. What I then do is lower the G 1/2 a turn and step down the A and D proportionately to meet the G.

As to pickup adjustment this should put you in the ballpark:

While depressing the E string at the last fret, measure the distance from the bottom of that string to the top of the pickup magnet for that string. Adjust for a distance of 4/32 inches. Do the same with the G string but, this time, aim for a distance of 3/32 inches. Final adjustment may have to be made to the G side by ear, so that the volume is even across all strings.

Cheers :)

AMEN.......

Thumper

Top Bottom