• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

abassguy

hey im new here. and i own a olp and i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a stingray pickup so i can replace my passive pickups with a active one? and does anyone know how much of a difference there is between the electronic setup (like wiring and stuff)?

peace

basscat

Actually the Stingray pickups are not active but the basses are equipped with a preamp wich make the bass active. This means that you could stick with your OLP pickup and add a preamp from Basslines, Bartolini or Aguilar for example. Basslines and Bartolini also have Musicman style humbuckers if you're not happy with the stock OLP one. Either of these combinations will improve your sound significantly although neither of them will make your OLP sound exactly like a Musicman. As far as I know, the Basslines pickup and preamp are closer in sound to the original but Bartolini's are also well known for their high qualilty althouh the might sound a bit more hi-fi. I'm not a wiring expert so I don't know how much work that would be involved.

As far as I know Ernie Ball doesn't sell pickups or preamps separatly, only as spare parts which in practice means that you need to have a broken Stingray pickup or preamp to send to Ernie Ball to get a new in return. Greg, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Basscat

Last edited:

abassguy

thanks basscat. i know my olp could never sound like a stingray. i just wanted an active pickups or a pre amp. ill try to check out the basslines and bartolini. im not sure where id look. if you could give me a link to one of them that would be greatley appriciated. thanks for the help.

abassguy

once again thanks. i found the smb-4ds basslines pickup and tone circuit to be the one i want. all i got to do is get the rest of the money and find out about the electronic difference and what will need to be done. im am going to have it done by a professional

Top Bottom