• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Razor1976

Is there a way of knowing what year this stingray preamp is? I've had it for years and might use it for a project. I'm assuming it's from mid 80's or early 90's? Cheers

MM Stingray preamp.jpg

Rod Trussbroken

cache_7192980.JPG

Above is a 1985 Ernie Ball 2EQ Sting Ray preamp.

Your preamp is also a 1985. Note the 3 grey and 2 blue electrolytic capacitors. Putting aside capacitor colours, it's the same as a Pre-EB preamp from c.1982 onwards. EB and Pre-EB use the same circuit boards which are designated "B3" on the underside copper track. The only difference between EB and Pre-EB is that EB soldered the IC chip "LM4250CN" direct to the circuit board. The Pre-EB has the IC mounted to the board via an IC socket.

Before soldering the preamp into circuit it should really have a 1K Ohm protection resistor added to the end of the white lead-out wire (bottom right). EB included this resistor on the board in c.1986.I have the wiring schematic if you need it.

Last edited:

Razor1976

cache_7192980.JPG

Your preamp is also a 1985. Note the 3 grey and 2 blue electrolytic capacitors. Putting aside capacitor colours, it's the same as a Pre-EB preamp from c.1982 onwards. EB and Pre-EB use the same circuit boards which are designated "B3" on the underside copper track. The only difference between EB and Pre-EB is that EB soldered the IC chip "LM4250CN" direct to the circuit board. The Pre-EB has the IC mounted to the board via an IC socket.

Before soldering the preamp into circuit it should really have a 1K Ohm protection resistor added to the end of the white lead-out wire (bottom right). EB included this resistor on the board in c.1986.I have the wiring schematic if you need it.

Awesome. Thanks Gav, I appreciate it. Could you please send me the schematic? Thanks again.

Razor1976

cache_7192980.JPG

Cheers Gav. Much appreciated. Could you pls send me the schematic? Thanks again.

kevins

Travis is that you?

I bought one identical to that from a guy named Travis lol

Last edited:

kevins

cache_7192980.JPG

How likely is the preamp to blow without it anyways?

Rod Trussbroken

How likely is the preamp to blow without it anyways?

The resistor is to protect the preamp IC from being destroyed if the guitar lead becomes short-circuited (even momentarily). Easy to happen.

All MM Sting Ray and Sabre Basses have them factory-fitted. Initially they were an outboard component. They became an on-board component c. 1986. The above 1985 preamp doesn't have the resistor on the circuit board. It, and earlier preamps will have to have it added manually.

Top Bottom