• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Lubo

Hey,

I've recently purchased my first EBMM guitar and it is the Valentine model. I fell in love with it the very first moment I tried it in store. That neck was just gorgeous, it felt amazing in hands and sound possibilities are all I need. Just an awesome instrument! However, I have noticed that neck didn't really lined up with body - there was this infamous "pick-holder" like gap, if you know what I mean.

So I took it back to the store and asked if they can do something about it and I the sales person ordered me a brand new replacement that they had in the warehouse. I had to wait two weeks for the new one and I decided to leave my Valentine, the first one that I fell in love with in store.

When the new guitar arrived from the warehouse after almost two weeks I have noticed a few things:

The first one was that the neck wasn't as dark as on the previous one and it felt significantly thicker. The colour wasn't a dealbreaker BUT the feel of the neck in my hand really surprised.
The second thing is that when I engage the push/push function on the tone pot I hear unpleasant static-like cracking. Moreover, when I let the chord ring and I slowly press down the tone pot to split the neck humbucerk the sound dies and then comes back when the humbucker is split to the singlecoil (of course accompanied by the cracking sound). I haven't experienced none of those above on the first model that had this little cosmetic flaw. I was really surprised that it happened to the guitar that came straight out of the box but I decided to take it home and play it for a couple of weeks, see if that cracking goes away just by using it more. If the issue still persists after two weeks or so I'll unfortunately have to take the guitar back to the store and see what they can do about it. It's a shame cuz I really like that guitar, it just seem like I got unlucky with the models I tried.

So I have a question for you guys here in the forum:
Is there anyone who experienced different feel of the neck on the same model of EBMM guitars (Valentine preferably)? I haven't checked the serial number on the first one I had but the second one, according the serial number, was build in late 2018. Also, what is your experience on push/push volume/tone pots? Any troubles?

Anyways, I hope some of you guys will go through my post here and that I got some answers too. I really want to keep my, or any other that I may get from my local guitar store if I decide to my replacement EBMM Valentine. It is a gorgeous instrument but..as I mentioned above, seems like I haven't had luck with it yet.

Thank you for all your answers!!!

Lubo

John C

It does appear there is an issue with the push/push pot from what you describe.

I've not owned a Valentine, but I can say that since EBMM necks are hand-sanded they will all be a little different. Over the course of 8 years I had 3 different Silhouette Specials, and all 3 had somewhat different feeling necks. Granted I never had 2 of them at the same time, but they all had differences.

TripHazard

I actually have experienced this. I played a Starry Night valentine in a store in London - neck fit my hand perfectly. A Lake Tahoe blue one, was thicker and with my tiny child hands, it inhibited the thumb over technique that I’m quite reliant on

Lubo

Thanks John,

I think I'll go my guitar store to get it checked. Regarding the neck, I didn't know they were all hand made. In that case it makes sense.

Lubo

Hey TripHazard,

That is really strange with those guitar necks. I'm actually a little bit confused now. Not sure if I should go back to the old Valentine that I left in store, even though it had a little cosmetic flow as I described above or keep the new one :D :D :D

TripHazard

If it were me, I’d get the first one back. That’s just me tho. But yeah, it was a definite difference - not night and day but enough to effect the comfort level - and it doesn’t take much to really change feel for what is suitable for your hands - exaggerated perhaps for me by my little girly mitts! :)

Top Bottom