• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Mikeg72

I have a JPX6 Reserve, bought it about a year ago. I have always used the same strings
(Ernie Ball Slinky 2221) 10-13-17-26-36-46. Pretty much standard, but a few months ago the high E string started sounding fuzzy when struck open. Even a light pick motion you can hear a fuzzy or buzzing sound. No problem, I checked the bridge piece to make sure the spring tension was right (very slightly raised at the back but pretty much level with the body as when I received it) So, I raised both bridge adjusters about 1/2 turn and no more buzzing. A few weeks later, it did the same thing! I again raised the bridge adjusters 1/2 turn and no buzzing. Again! it did it again so I raised it one more time!
The strings are still close to the neck and I sighted the neck down the length from the head piece and it looks straight. I have not checked it with a straight edge yet. The Neck bolts are tight and all hardware is tight. Wierd hugh? Any thoughts??

beej

Most likely it's the neck adjusting to the seasons. What happens is that as humidity changes, necks absorb or lose humidity which changes the amount of "bow" in the neck. The fix is a slight tweak to the truss rod.

What you usually want to do when there's buzzing on the lower frets is allow more relief in the neck. This is done by turning the truss rod wheel counter-clockwise (as you look from the truss rod towards the tuners), 1/4 turn or so at a time. Later in the year, if you find the action is too high, you do the opposite- tightening the truss rod and straightening the neck.

The key is to leave the bridge height alone, since it's only the neck that has changed. Basically, truss rod helps you through buzzing in the lower frets, bridge/saddle height the higher ones. And this, of course, assumes your neck and frets are good. If you're not sure, call EBMM customer service or take your guitar to a tech that knows what they're doing.

As for a straight edge- if you don't have one handy, fret the guitar at the first string and also at the 15th fret with your other hand. Use the string as a straight edge, looking for a slight gap from above the 7-9th fret to the bottom of the string. That'll get you in the ballpark.

So ... I'd recommend setting the bridge height to where it was and then having a go with the truss rod. If you have more detailed questions, drop the customer service folks a line. Here's Drew from EB covering this particular issue:

Mikeg72

Thanks for the info! I've been playing for over 40 years and this guitar is BY FAR my favorite! I have never found a guitar that fit me so well and played and sounded so perfectly. To me, this is the ultimate guitar!

smd24fan

Agree with beej. Had the very same issue on my JPX on the D string. Minor truss rod adjustment, GONE baby!! Good luck.

bbake1

As with the others the TR is most likely the culprit. With the easy access TR I adjust mine on the fly as things change here in AZ. Super easy and only make minor changes to the TR. A full turn or cranking is generally not necessary. 1/4 to 1/8 turns for me. Once the bridge is set for height, I don't touch it. YMMV.

ZeRaskolnikoff

Some guitars have string buzz as their inherent feature. My Silo is like that. It's been shown to 4 different guitar techs, all the possible adjustment have been made - it just buzzes no matter what :)

jlebre

As with the others the TR is most likely the culprit. With the easy access TR I adjust mine on the fly as things change here in AZ. Super easy and only make minor changes to the TR. A full turn or cranking is generally not necessary. 1/4 to 1/8 turns for me. Once the bridge is set for height, I don't touch it. YMMV.

Hey guys great info on this post. Maybe someone can help me I just wanna make sure I didn't miss the obvious before contacting support.

Jpxi brand new opened. Tuned strings, the tech that was with me realised that the 2 bridge screws were locking the bridge. Released them a bit and the bridged is now slightly out of parallel. The back of the bridge is like half milimiter higher.

Action was gorgeous, but string buzzing all over. He gave it a 1/4 turn twist and about half hour later most buzzing was gone. He gave it another little twist and I went home, let it sit through the night.

Next day there was some definite buzzing on 5th and 6th string, frets 7th to 9ish.

I gave it a 8th turn twist, couple of hours apart (3pm total) the action now feels higher (I missed the very low action straight away) but buzzing on 5th string remains.

Time to contact support or a couple more twists and leave it overnight?

beej

When you tweak the truss rod, you can also pull or push on the neck to encourage it to settle- that can speed things up.

Generally speaking, if you're getting buzzing on the lower frets, adjust your truss rod so you get more relief. Buzzing on the higher frets is usually fixed by adjust saddle height.

If you've adjusted the angle on the bridge then you may have lowered the saddle heights slightly. There's a fine balance between getting the neck straight (with a tad of relief) and adjusting the saddles, which generally you don't need to do.

If you feel comfortable tweaking it (as per the advice, video, etc.) then have at it. You did pay your tech to look at it and you're not satisfied, so you could consider taking it back to get it done to your liking. And, of course, if you contact the CS team they will give you the best advice.

jlebre

When you tweak the truss rod, you can also pull or push on the neck to encourage it to settle- that can speed things up.
Is it okay if it "clicks" when you push it?

Generally speaking, if you're getting buzzing on the lower frets, adjust your truss rod so you get more relief. Buzzing on the higher frets is usually fixed by adjust saddle height.
Are lower the usual up to 5th, higher 7th to 12? or higher?

Thank you for taking your time :) im dying to just enjoy this monster!

And, of course, if you contact the CS team they will give you the best advice.
Do they work on international costumers, or should I contact costumer support on uk?

beej

Hey- happy to help. Lost of knowledgeable guys here on this forum.

Is it okay if it "clicks" when you push it?
Yes. The truss rod can bind a little, so the extra push or pull just helps it move into place.

Are lower the usual up to 5th, higher 7th to 12? or higher?
Welll, it's a bit of a trade-off. From the nut to the 5-7th fret, relief will usually fix that. Above the 12th fret, saddle height. You'll have to play with it a bit.

Remember, with super-low action you're always going to get some buzzing. That's how it goes. The buzzing doesn't bother me so much, but you don't want it fretting out when you bend.

Do they work on international costumers, or should I contact costumer support on uk?
Well normally you get your store/distributor to help out. If you have a new guitar that needs adjusting, I'd take it to the place you bought it. But the MM guys are the most knowledgeable, so you can always drop them a line.

jlebre

HEy guys

so, contacted the original retailers that said they would help me (trade off - 4h driving into WALES! each way!).
Still not convinced about them rasing the bridge which was the first thing they did. As I said above lowered it and the buzzing is the same.

The problem with the buzzing is that it goes straight through the piezo. It's really really noticeable. I think JP would call Maddi if it did happen. Or maybe even BP :)

and, i'm not picking that hard (although I'd like to).

Very fustrating. Beginning to fear it might be a fret job. Sent an email to CS but since they are in the other side of the world might take a bit for a reply. Whatever I do that buzzing is sooooo localized when you press 7th-9th fret :(

beej

It really sounds like it just needs a slight setup tweak. Stay optimistic :)

Hey, and when they're working on it- see if you can watch them and learn as much as you can. It really pays to learn how to do this stuff yourself.

jlebre

Thanks Beej! I think it'll be the longest 2.5weeks. Till then is twang'in at buzz town for me :'(
Stay tune, I'll let you guys know what the problem was. Or if I had to bring another JPXI. or if it had to go to repairs god knows where..

.... Noooo nooo... I'll stay optimistic! I'll bookmark this page everytime I think I may loose my guitar for weeks now that I finally saved enough for one :p

Top Bottom