• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bovinehost

Administrator
Rex bought a Big Al from Pete DuBaldo.

Once it came in, guess where he sent it? To Ben Alsup. Just so Ben could try it out for a while. How cool is THAT?

So Ben had it for a while, and then guess what?

Rex told Ben to drop it off with me for a bit, just so I could try it out for a while.

How cool is THAT?

Jack

shakinbacon

Rex bought a Big Al from Pete DuBaldo.

Once it came in, guess where he sent it? To Ben Alsup. Just so Ben could try it out for a while. How cool is THAT?

So Ben had it for a while, and then guess what?

Rex told Ben to drop it off with me for a bit, just so I could try it out for a while.

How cool is THAT?

Jack

Wow. Some trusting people here

I expect a full review :cool:

bovinehost

Administrator

Well, we definitely all know each other. Ben's brother is the drummer in my band, although he might say that I'm the bassist in his band. Either way.

We've all been in each others' houses, know the wives and kids, the turtle, have been drunk in garages, that sort of thing.

I will be plugging this bass in soon.

bovinehost

Administrator
Hmmm. First impressions.

1. "Lord Big Al" sounds kind of funny, so let's not go there just yet.

2. This is one beautiful instrument. You may not have noticed that I own no sunburst finished basses, but this is glorious. It takes the angular Jetsons body shape and smooths it out into something....vintage. I've always liked the AL's angles, though. (And my band would be VERY happy to see me playing something a bit less like a spaceship. But they've made their peace with my Bongo problem.)

3. The single coils. Yes. I've only had it plugged in for ten minutes, though, and can't get past the bridge only in active mode. (I briefly went passive and felt weird and like I was going to pass out. I'll get back to it.)

4. Ergonomics are excellent. If you like the Sterling neck (and you should), you'll like this, obviously. Years ago, long before I actually knew a GUY named Sterling, I told anyone who'd listen that the Sterling neck might just be the best production neck on the planet. The Big Al carries on with that tradition.

It's late and I can't turn up loud to get a real feel for everything, but I'll get to it tomorrow. Photos? Of course, give me a day or two.

I can see myself with one of these. Yes, Lord Bongo with a Big Al. I can definitely see it. Time to buy some lottery tickets.

Rex, keep this one, buddy.

Jack

shakinbacon

Hmmm. First impressions.

1. "Lord Big Al" sounds kind of funny, so let's not go there just yet.

2. This is one beautiful instrument. You may not have noticed that I own no sunburst finished basses, but this is glorious. It takes the angular Jetsons body shape and smooths it out into something....vintage. I've always liked the AL's angles, though. (And my band would be VERY happy to see me playing something a bit less like a spaceship. But they've made their peace with my Bongo problem.)

3. The single coils. Yes. I've only had it plugged in for ten minutes, though, and can't get past the bridge only in active mode. (I briefly went passive and felt weird and like I was going to pass out. I'll get back to it.)

4. Ergonomics are excellent. If you like the Sterling neck (and you should), you'll like this, obviously. Years ago, long before I actually knew a GUY named Sterling, I told anyone who'd listen that the Sterling neck might just be the best production neck on the planet. The Big Al carries on with that tradition.

It's late and I can't turn up loud to get a real feel for everything, but I'll get to it tomorrow. Photos? Of course, give me a day or two.

I can see myself with one of these. Yes, Lord Bongo with a Big Al. I can definitely see it. Time to buy some lottery tickets.

Rex, keep this one, buddy.

Jack

Thanks Bovine. Nice initial review before getting drunk in your garage. I still expect more (reviews not drinking)

Wait for the five to come out before you do anything drastic

tiffles

LONDON, Australia, Switzerland... your guess is as
AWWW you know that you are in a different league! I was going to text you yesterday but I cant work out time zones or if I will wake you up or if the number I have is even accurate! But, it's been too long. xx

(I am able to be around here a little more often though!)

GWDavis28

I've had dealing with Rex before and he has always been stand up about everything. He's a great guy and I'm glad to know him. Him sending a Big AL to Ben and Jack, doesn't surprise me in the least.

Glenn |B)

PeteDuBaldo

Jack, that is a fantastic bass and I'm glad you have your paws on it for a little while. Try not to spill any ketel on it before it goes to Rex. Has he even had the chance to play it yet? Nice chatting with you the other day.

I expect a full review :cool:

Forumites passing around instruments happens more often than you might think! Right now TommyInDelaware has my Gold Roller silhouette, which was at fingbeagle's place in TX for a few weeks beforehand.

Top Bottom