• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Spudmurphy

It's really hard searching the net when you only have half a computer screen - mine is broke and I'm waiting for a replacement.

Anyways, onto my query .... I want to make my own daisy chain using right angled power supply plugs. I have a commercially bought item but it's just so unwieldy.

I can't seem to find a supplier of these plugs (in the UK preferably).

Can anybody in the know, point me in the right direction before I break the other half of the screen? lol

TNT

I think I understand what you mean Spud?

You have a Boss power daisey chain that "sticks" up from the "top" of the pedal thus: sticking out like a sore thumb, taking up additional space, and easy to step on and break/pop off. Yes, a right angled power chain would certainly be preferrable. And, actually I never thought about it - good point!

And, just as a related side note, I hate pedal connector cables that are NOT right angled, small head, and very flexable - why even make them????

Now, in the unlikely event that I am wrong on this - PLEASE SELF DESTRUCT THIS POST WITHIN 3 SECONDS OF READING.

Oh, and another thing, you should have gotten a new computer screen for Christmas instead of the pedal.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If I understoo his post, he has something like that already and want to make his own?

Visual Sound do right angled daisy chains, that come two versions, for 5 or 8 pedals. I've been using them for years. Not super robust but they lasted longer than the boss equivalents in my experience. And the length between plugs is long enough that you won't have a problem if one pedal has it's plug on the right and the next has it's plug on the left. It's a little unwieldy I suppose but I fail to see how making my own would make it better, unless it was custom lengths to exactly fit the distance to the next pedal, but then of course it might not work well if I change the pedals around.

Spudmurphy

Thanks guys for chipping in. I have a Mooer 2 amp power supply that I am linking up to a daisy chain. The trouble is that I want to make my own lengths between the "daisies" in the chain. I also want to use right angled power input plugs instead of of "straight" plugs. So I am after the right angled plugs that I can solder myself also some flexible and not too thick a cable.

Hope this makes sense and you can come back to me.

Yeah TNT, I'm using my son's computer at the mo, and a replacement screen is next on my list. This will be the second time I've had to replace the screen - the first time I had a refund which covered the replacement screen. This time I have to fund it from my own pocket - about £30 :-(

Jimmyb

Spud, did you get the connectors sorted?

Some here from CPC, who are really good with delivery and the like. You may have to pay P&P, unless you buy loads of other stuff as well, but I've never found it that difficult to think of things I need to buy from there!

Klon Solo

Never knew they had this stuff available. I'm just about to finalize things on my pedalboard soon and may check this route. I was using a daisy chain and a one-spot adapter, but had to get rid of it.

It seemed like the pedals weren't able to draw enough power if I was using more than 3 at a time. I need a pedal power or something, I think.

Klon Solo

What pedals were you using? One Spot is very powerful and can easily handle quite a lot of standard pedals.

These were the pedals. The issue was somewhere in the effects loop (row with the voodoo plus). As soon as I supplied them with their own power supply everything was fine.

The issue resulted in a weak intermittent signal.

Sorry for the upside.down pic:

Spudmurphy

Hi Jimmyb. Yeah I got the right angled plugs as mentioned in my hyperlink. They are ok but to be used in a daisy chain format you need thin cable. The plug moulding will easily accept a single cable but two? It's a bit of a struggle. so ... you need thin cable, which I don't have at the moment. My Amp tech buddyy/guru/drummer and muse in all things 'lectrical assures me that a thin screened cable will suffice. So in conclusion, I haven't really used them yet.

Klon ... I'm loathe to splash out big bucks on a power supply when with a bit of research and application, considerable savings are there to be made. I checked out the specs of my pedals on the interweb and added up their power requirements. A rule of thumb is pedals such as distortion/fuzz/compressor uses approx 300 milliamp. The TC electronics flashback delay uses approx one amp. So my maths would be 3 pedals x 300 milliamps equals 900 mamp plus 1 amp for my delay. So I need a power supply that will deliver at least 1.9 amps.(EDIT correction - see posts below) But hey I'm never going to have all my pedals on at the same time. I bought a Moer 2 amp power supply which covered this for £13. I'll post pics of what I did with it. But yeah, do your homework first.
Spud

Last edited:

Spudmurphy

Cheers DR K - I'm getting all my blinking decimal points all confused I said 300 mA when yes you are correct 30 mA is more appropriate for distortion. The flash back delay is rated at 100 mA so my calculation should be
3 pedals at 30 mA
plus one at 100 mA
equals 190mA

So my 2 amp wallwart is up to it.

Loving the link DrK!
The Power List

See I try to understand electronics - I get a bit confused - but I'm improving lol

Top Bottom