• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dio-bass

img-0189-4143.jpg

as you can see the Sterling (w/piezo) was fretless but previous owner puts the frets on it What should I do? should I change the neck or sell it?

MrMusashi

you could have a good luthier pull the frets, put in some white material and then covering it in epoxy.. you know, the good ole jaco trick :)

or plain just sell it and get one thats factory fretted... really depends on how good job the previous owner did.

if it was mine id probably go for the first option, but since its not ill leave that up to you ;);)

MrM

MadMatt

some frets are a little sharp but no noticeable

Hmm, Personaly... If the fret job is not perfect, I would defret it and have the slots filled with Mahagoni furnier. Since it was originally fretless you will not need the epoxy. If you can use hand tools without causing permanent damage to yourself ;) then its a DIY job.

There are several sites out there explaining the process. I think this is a pretty good guide: The Imprecise Bass – defretting a fretted neck. Rude Mechanical

Just be very careful removing the frets. Heat them up first and work them out slowly.

Make that pretty thing "Mwaahhhng" again! :D

-Matt

five7

The side position markers line up with the frets? That makes it tough to play probably.

Caca de Kick

I'm failing to see what the "sad story" is here. :confused:

If you don't like it, then why did you buy it? Or if you bought it knowing it was a conversion, why not just have the frets crowned/dressed and ends trimmed. Techs do this sort of thing everyday. ;)

dio-bass

I'm failing to see what the "sad story" is here. :confused:

If you don't like it, then why did you buy it? Or if you bought it knowing it was a conversion, why not just have the frets crowned/dressed and ends trimmed. Techs do this sort of thing everyday. ;)

my wife got it for me as a present. of course she doesnt know much about basses

funkymofo

Sounds like you've got yourself a decent woman there!

If it was me and it played well, I'd probably buy another (fretless) neck. You can always swap it back and forth then to suit your mood at the time.

And MadMatt - you have just given me a fantastic idea of what to do with my Yamaha when my Stingray arrives! Maybe it won't be retired to the shed after all!

five7

no I spoke with one of EB Customer service and told me that it was fretless but lined. so dots are in the center of frets

On the MM fretless I owned the dots lined up with the frets and not in between like a fretted bass. If yours is different that would make it a one of a kind.

dio-bass

On the MM fretless I owned the dots lined up with the frets and not in between like a fretted bass. If yours is different that would make it a one of a kind.

you got me there, at least notes sounds on tune, I checked with a tuner

TGL

I thought that a fretted neck is not in perfect tune-- that's why they came out with the slanted fret necks--right? Buzz Feyton or something like that?

Top Bottom