• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Wrinkly Pete

I have just bought a Music Man Stingray Bass, natural finish, 4 string, right handed, fretless with the Ernie Ball logo on the headstock and the number B022961 (possibly 8022961) on the bridge (which is above body stringing)

I am told that it is 1986, however, it is in nearly mint condition, so I am a bit suspicious of this information.

Can any body help me without me having to remove the neck?

bovinehost

Administrator
Stingray B022884 is a 1982.

Stingray B022910 has a body date of Sept 1979 but other indicators that point to parts from 1981 (so it was probably assembled from leftover parts at the factory).

Lots of these serials are NOT chronologically correct, so take that info above with a grain of salt.

Rod Trussbroken

Ditto what Jacko said.

Just a few things:

Firstly...can you give a full description of the Bass...colour of pickguard...wood on neck board....2 or 3 band EQ....top load or through the body stringing....mutes?????

"1986" could very well be correct. After EB bought MM in 84 they also got a supply of MM bridges which were utilized on their Basses when they started pumping them out in 85. I understand this could have been the case up till circa 87. However, as EB didn't keep dates for Basses with these bridges, I'm pretty sure Derek wouldn't be able to help. Also, because these bridges were spares (so to speak), I doubt if they would have followed suit with the Pre-EB serials which, of themselves, as Jack has pointed out, weren't necessarily chronological!!! In a nut shell, the specific serial is not going to shed any light on the matter although the type of serial, IMO, narrows the date from around 85 to 87 (or maybe 88).

There were some rare Pre-EB serials which began with the letter "8" as opposed to the prefix "B". I believe the "8" was only followed by five digits, so I'm sure your number would begin with a "B" rather than an "8".

A description may help a little more.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Wrinkly Pete

Thanks for the information so far. The bass has a maple neck and what looks like a pale rosewood finger board (fretless). The pickguard is black and the bridge is above body stringing. It has a two band EQ.

I have fallen in love with the instrument as it has a better sound than any of my other 9 basses and it is my first attempt at fretless. The others in the band love the sound and have not noticed any bum notes, which is encouraging.

I do not really care what age it is, but it is in such wonderful condition, genuinely like new, that I was suspicious of the 1986 tag. Perhaps I have found a gem in more ways than one.

It is great to hear from other interested parties. I feel part of the family already.

Cheers

Wrinkly Pete

Top Bottom