• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

indy

I just got my brand new Cutlass. I love it except for one small problem. The screws on the saddles for the A, D, and G strings stick up pretty high, and the threads on the sides of them are pretty sharp and they're constantly scratching the side of my hand.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Any easy solutions?

Last edited:

jones4tone

I’ve noticed that on my son’s Cutlass. He seems unbothered by it, so I haven’t looked into a solution. My Cutlass does not have these screws protruding from the top of the saddle.

Definitely give customer service a call if it’s bothersome to you.

Also, I have to tell you that your Cutlass doesn’t exist without pictures!

Etudica

I noticed this on the Valentine models as well. After lowering the saddles a bit on my Valentine the saddle screws became a quite annoying just like you stated. I learned to live with it but always wondered if there were shorter saddle screws available from either EBMM customer service or another aftermarket company.

klaveguitars

tbonesullivan

Definitely shorter grub screws if the ends bother you. I know some people who don't even notice them, and others who are bothered by them. I don't really rest my hand on the bridge much, so they don't really affect me.

aviduser8910

Hi,
I also have the same problem. It’s annoying to buy such a beautiful guitar that plays great and have those screws dig into your palm. Would like to know a fix or where can you buy shorter correct saddle screws? Also are you having trouble with your 5 way switch going dead?
Mine goes dead at several positions. I have to move the switch and the guitar signal comes back.

Fro

You can buy a set of saddle screws from Music Man customer service. Swap out the high screws with the shorter ones.
The screws are dirt cheap but the shipping isn’t so you may want to add a few more items you think you might need.

JamieCrain

I've always wondered why so many manufacturers have ignored this problem when it's so obviously an issue. Bridge function and aesthetics still seems to take a back seat in the design process, with a few exceptions.

GWDavis28

I've always wondered why so many manufacturers have ignored this problem when it's so obviously an issue. Bridge function and aesthetics still seems to take a back seat in the design process, with a few exceptions.

This is true, but lower costs tend to drive things some times. For a better saddle design where the set screws don't come in contact with the player means a newer design, which will cost more, since it's newer. Most player accept it, or tweak. Just my $0.02 worth.

Glenn |B)

JamieCrain

This is true, but lower costs tend to drive things some times. For a better saddle design where the set screws don't come in contact with the player means a newer design, which will cost more, since it's newer. Most player accept it, or tweak. Just my $0.02 worth.

Glenn |B)

I would agree, except that there are many high-end brands producing expensive guitars that still have poor bridge design. It's almost like they've forgotten that the bridge is a part of the guitar you actually touch. Thankfully EBMM have added bridge covers to many of their models. It makes a massive difference to comfort, and we don't have to look at ugly springs.

fbecir

It's always surprising : on a lot of guitars the saddle screws are unnecessarily long. I can't see the logic in allowing this much room for adjustment.
Or perhaps that a lot of players like to have a 7 mm action at the 12th fret ...

tbonesullivan

I would agree, except that there are many high-end brands producing expensive guitars that still have poor bridge design. It's almost like they've forgotten that the bridge is a part of the guitar you actually touch. Thankfully EBMM have added bridge covers to many of their models. It makes a massive difference to comfort, and we don't have to look at ugly springs.
People always forget that both the Telecaster AND the Stratocaster originally DID have bridge covers. They took them off because no one cared.

Top Bottom