• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ParkerCO

Hi guys/gals - first time posting. I've been an avid acoustic player in my duo for years now and just brought out the MM silhouette I bought around 2006 or so on Ebay, sight unseen of course except the pics. Never occurred to me to check the S/N, so yesterday I put the S/N in the EB finder and it tells me it's a "SILHOUETTE RED TRANS ROSEWOOD HH".

Well, I have a blue Silhouette trans with HSH setup. I actually love this guitar, it plays incredibly well for the $$ I bought it for which i thought at the time was reasonable. And I'm sure the pickups were changed out as I opened it up and here's pickups:

Bridge - Dimarzio DP 193, middle is Dimarzio blade pickup DP188 and then a DP 155 at back.

I want to get this back to stock or better. Any suggestions? Thoughts?
Thank you all, and glad to know this forum is here!

tj1

Well, I have a blue Silhouette trans with HSH setup. I actually love this guitar, it plays incredibly well for the $$ I bought it for which i thought at the time was reasonable.

I want to get this back to stock or better. Any suggestions? Thoughts?
Thank you all, and glad to know this forum is here!

Apologies but my question is why you want to return it to it's original condition?,

Something about not fixing things that you are happy with, comes to mind.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
ParkerCo! Welcome to the forum family!

(Unofficial forum rule- your guitar does not exist without photos! :D)

There are a small number of serial numbers in the data base that don't match the guitars they are on. It happens. You have mystery guitar.

The stock Silhouette pickups are DiMarzio Virtual PAF (DP197 for the bridge model, which DiMarzio list as 230mV output, Bass 6, Mid 6, Treble 5). Lower output and brighter than what you currently have. They are no longer made for the public but the current closest DiMarzio matches are the 36th Anniversary PAF or the PAF '59.

The middle single coils is a custom wound for Music Man, but the DiMarzio True Velvet pickups are the closest current match, i.e. low output vintage single coil, very different to what you have now.

Music Man used to sell loaded pickguards with the stock pickups in. I don't know if they still do, but you should call them and ask.

ParkerCO

Hi - good question, i'm honestly not sure of the original Silhouette sound since they are different pickups. And the current pickups don't really match the guitar in terms of looks. Lastly, since i wasn't sure of the quality of the original pickups i wasn't sure if someone switched them out for lesser quality.

ParkerCO

Thank you for this information! My Silhouette is listed as a 1992 which i believe is correct. It's in excellent condition. I think I'm going to look into going back to those more original pickups that you mention, I really appreciate that information. I will certainly give MM a call!

Top Bottom