• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bmorepunk

I've found some mentions in other forums/threads that the SLO Special is the same as on the StingRay (all of this is pre-Special era). Can anybody confirm this?

Reason: Have realized I play better on a 1-1/2" nut, am considering shaving my 2004 StingRay neck down to 1-1/2" at the nut to basically make it an SLO Special. I want to confirm that the bridge spacing is the same before anything crazy happens.

danny-79

I’m not 100% sure but the dimensions of the SLO Stingray are the same as a USA Sterling (that’s my impression of it anyways)

drTStingray

I don’t know the answer either but remember the Sterling has one more fret (and a 5 bolt sculpted neck joint) compared with the SLO Stingray neck (6 bolt neck joint).

Jef

Refering to MM FAQ I would say the bridge spacing is the same, as the string spacing is ;)
FAQ

Music Man Basses​

What is the string spacing on the Music Man basses?​

All distances are measured from string center to the next string center.
Stingray 4, Bongo 4, Sterling 4, Big Al 4, Reflex 4, Classic Sabre - 3/4"

Last edited:

drTStingray

SLO Special is basically a Stingray with a Sterling neck.

As I said above - it has a different neck attachment from the Sterling (6 bolt) and also one less fret (same number of frets as a Stingray). More accurately it’s a Stingray with the narrower nut width, as a Sterling. I’m not sure if the neck radius is the same as a Sterling but I’d guess it is.

Top Bottom