• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jim C

I could be mistaken but have this memory that older HH SR's would not sound the same as a single H model assuming the neck pup was off.

Can I get the exact H tone with a HH model in the Special series?
Looks to be better availability of HH models in my area.
TIA

Mu5icM@n

The bridge-only pickup setting's wiring is exactly what a single H pickup would be. The only differences might be wood/weight/resonance/variations from bass-to-bass. IMHO the biggest differences between a HH bass in position 1 and a single H bass will probably be in minor differences in pickup height or string age.

Fuzzy Dustmite

Pickup positions are different, aren't they?
The bridge-ward pickup on a double-H is not in the same place as the pickup on a single-H -- it was moved a little closer to the bridge.
I thought so, too, but I grabbed photos from sweetwater and the ebmm site and overlaid them and the bridge pickup is in exactly the same position. I think as Mu5icM@n says, that was just the Bongo.

Golem

I thought so, too, but I grabbed photos from sweetwater and the ebmm site and overlaid them and the bridge pickup is in exactly the same position. I think as Mu5icM@n says, that was just the Bongo.
Thaz what makes the Bongo 1H stand out, the PU is close to the SR location (maybe identical ??)

Last edited:

danny-79

HH StingRay. Yes you can get a single H tone out of it by soloing the rear pickup. It’s in the same place as the single H.

HH Bongo is a no, the bridge pickup is closer to the bridge.

A Single H Bongo pup is in the same sweet spot as the Stingray H or HH

mynan

I've often wondered about this myself. Has anyone actually A/B tested this? I've never had the chance, but there have been a lot of times when I've switched from all 4 coils to just the bridge pickup on one of the HH models that I've owned and thought "Is this really how the H basses sound...all the time? It just seems a little thin. Don't get me wrong, I love the bridge pickup setting in some situations, like when I suspect the sound guy is burying me in the mix ;), but it's not typically my go-to setting. Also, whenever I've played H models, I've never thought they seemed "a little thin".

Top Bottom