• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Big Poppa

....Im not going to go show you all the standard colors that are in the pipeline and in stores....it wont matter to you...we have made tons of black, natural you name it. You have made your point so please move on

JOEinCA

....Im not going to go show you all the standard colors that are in the pipeline and in stores....it wont matter to you...we have made tons of black, natural you name it. You have made your point so please move on

Great answers! I will take your advice and move on.

Bert

7 colors
maple and rosewood: 2x7= 14
SLO Neck or Std: 2x14= 28
2-Band or 3-Band: 28x2= 56
Matching Headstock or Std: 56x2= 112
Neck through or Std: 112x2= 224
H; HS; HH: 224*3= 672

I know my calc is incorrect but no shop will stock 672 different instruments, if everyone wants a natural maple Classic (including me) anyway.

tbonesullivan

Congrats on finding your bass. I remember a few years ago all the stores had stingrays in all available colors. Several bursts, transparents, rw/maple varieties available for purchase...was great.

How is that EBMM's fault? The stores are feeling the pinch too, so they stock what will sell. Guess what, BLACK is still one of the most popular colors across the board. Not all the stores can keep a bunch of basses on hand, which is especially true of ones like Guitar Center, who for years overstocked everything, but now has completely changed around the business model.

If you want something, call up one of the premier dealers and see what they can order.

muggsy

So you want something you can't find in a brick and mortar or online store. The problem isn't that other colors aren't available, it's that you don't want to wait three months (or longer) for a special order.

JOEinCA

7 colors
maple and rosewood: 2x7= 14
SLO Neck or Std: 2x14= 28
2-Band or 3-Band: 28x2= 56
Matching Headstock or Std: 56x2= 112
Neck through or Std: 112x2= 224
H; HS; HH: 224*3= 672

I know my calc is incorrect but no shop will stock 672 different instruments, if everyone wants a natural maple Classic (including me) anyway.

You seriously think this is a complaint about not having 672 options in stock somewhere?

Bert

You seriously think this is a complaint about not having 672 options in stock somewhere?

Just wanted to make sure it is impossible for a shop to stock so many variations.

I can only speak for Germany, we have Thomann or Session, Musik-Produktiv which store a lot.
You can also ask at German-Distributor called "Musik-Meyer" if a specific color is available at a store in Germany immediately.

Here is a small selection available in 3 Stores in Germany - don't know about the choices/variety in Fresno, CA.
rays.jpg

Do you looking for a specific Ray or was it more a statement about your view of current situation?

btw: I bought my first Ernie Ball Ray in 1989, no internet, the shop had exactly one(!) bought it, later I discovered there were 2/3 Band rosewood/maple option and colors like blueburst, butterscotch, peach.

bovinehost

Administrator
I have tried my best to just steer clear of this but now it’s Friday and I feel the need to repeat myself. Sorry if you’ve heard any of this before.

Selection. As we all know, Music Man doesn’t build or hold stock. If a dealer orders something, they build it. There are not big racks of basses/guitars loitering around SLO, waiting for someone to call. If your local area, like mine, is under financial duress (musical instruments, I mean), you can expect they will have the finishes that are proven sellers. Black/maple, anyone? For years, I’ve had a wider selection of Music Man basses than any Guitar Center in north Texas. Let’s not even talk about finding Bongos around here. If I only had one, I’d have more than my closest dealer. This is just the reality. I don’t complain about it (well, until now) because I understand why it’s like this.

Sterling used to say to us, “If I looked to you guys to determine what works in the market, I’d be asking you if you wanted fries with that.” We forum guys are a niche market. I am the worst, too. I like the odd and frightening colors – a lot. Some of my basses are one-offs, and they are that for very good reason. As I said, black/maple, anyone? And let’s keep in mind that we have some new EXCITING colors to choose from this year, which is great if you ask me or even if you don’t. Will your local shop stock them? Maybe you should go and bug them because otherwise you know what you’ll get: black/maple.

I’ll tell you what I did a long time ago: I formed personal relationships with some of the dealers who frequent the forum. This is another thing I would encourage you to do if you want the odd colors, the PDNs, the things that will never hang in Guitar Center. I highly recommend having a dealer who understands how weird you are.

Price increases? I know nothing about the internal workings of this, but I do know we haven’t seen a real price increase in a while. It was overdue, I believe. Nothing good really gets cheaper. Bitching about it is bad sport. Yes, Stingrays cost more, and Cutlasses and Caprices, and maybe they cost more than a garden variety P bass. But we all understand that they’re better than garden variety P basses, too. Not that there’s anything wrong with P basses, but come one. Have you compared a Cutlass to an off-the-rack Precision? I have. If we agree that the Cutlass is a superior instrument, can we not agree that this is worth more? Of course. Price increases hurt, I know that, but the market is what it is and your Cutlass wasn’t built in Asia. Or Mexico. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I’ll be the first to tell you that if you want a P bass, go get one. I have one. Sterling has one. (His is nicer than mine – or at least worth way more.) We joke around here a lot about Fenders but come on, there are certain basses that are just industry standards. Iconic. The Precision is one. If that’s what you want, no one’s going to make fun of you or ostracize you or call you names. (Mostly.) But again: Music Man basses are a step up. That’s why we’re all here on the forum, isn’t it? You’re going to pay a little more now. Accept it, learn to live with it, or buy a MIM Precision and soldier on. I’ll still like you. Inasmuch as I like you now.

Okay, I’ll like you a little less, but if you’re living for my approval, you’ve already made serious mistakes. Hah.

I hope we can wrap this up because it’s beginning to seem overly negative. I get enough of that in the real world, don’t you? Have the questions been asked and answered? Can I shut this thread down now? Because this is supposed to be fun, too.

JOEinCA

I have tried my best to just steer clear of this but now it’s Friday and I feel the need to repeat myself. Sorry if you’ve heard any of this before.

Selection. As we all know, Music Man doesn’t build or hold stock. If a dealer orders something, they build it. There are not big racks of basses/guitars loitering around SLO, waiting for someone to call. If your local area, like mine, is under financial duress (musical instruments, I mean), you can expect they will have the finishes that are proven sellers. Black/maple, anyone? For years, I’ve had a wider selection of Music Man basses than any Guitar Center in north Texas. Let’s not even talk about finding Bongos around here. If I only had one, I’d have more than my closest dealer. This is just the reality. I don’t complain about it (well, until now) because I understand why it’s like this.

Sterling used to say to us, “If I looked to you guys to determine what works in the market, I’d be asking you if you wanted fries with that.” We forum guys are a niche market. I am the worst, too. I like the odd and frightening colors – a lot. Some of my basses are one-offs, and they are that for very good reason. As I said, black/maple, anyone? And let’s keep in mind that we have some new EXCITING colors to choose from this year, which is great if you ask me or even if you don’t. Will your local shop stock them? Maybe you should go and bug them because otherwise you know what you’ll get: black/maple.

I’ll tell you what I did a long time ago: I formed personal relationships with some of the dealers who frequent the forum. This is another thing I would encourage you to do if you want the odd colors, the PDNs, the things that will never hang in Guitar Center. I highly recommend having a dealer who understands how weird you are.

Price increases? I know nothing about the internal workings of this, but I do know we haven’t seen a real price increase in a while. It was overdue, I believe. Nothing good really gets cheaper. Bitching about it is bad sport. Yes, Stingrays cost more, and Cutlasses and Caprices, and maybe they cost more than a garden variety P bass. But we all understand that they’re better than garden variety P basses, too. Not that there’s anything wrong with P basses, but come one. Have you compared a Cutlass to an off-the-rack Precision? I have. If we agree that the Cutlass is a superior instrument, can we not agree that this is worth more? Of course. Price increases hurt, I know that, but the market is what it is and your Cutlass wasn’t built in Asia. Or Mexico. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I’ll be the first to tell you that if you want a P bass, go get one. I have one. Sterling has one. (His is nicer than mine – or at least worth way more.) We joke around here a lot about Fenders but come on, there are certain basses that are just industry standards. Iconic. The Precision is one. If that’s what you want, no one’s going to make fun of you or ostracize you or call you names. (Mostly.) But again: Music Man basses are a step up. That’s why we’re all here on the forum, isn’t it? You’re going to pay a little more now. Accept it, learn to live with it, or buy a MIM Precision and soldier on. I’ll still like you. Inasmuch as I like you now.

Okay, I’ll like you a little less, but if you’re living for my approval, you’ve already made serious mistakes. Hah.

I hope we can wrap this up because it’s beginning to seem overly negative. I get enough of that in the real world, don’t you? Have the questions been asked and answered? Can I shut this thread down now? Because this is supposed to be fun, too.

I wouldn't know first hand about the cutlass, local stores here don't stock american EBMM basses anymore (they did just a few years ago). Plenty of USA Ps and Js though. Fender figured it out. Im not looking for a P bass or one of the hundreds of clones. Did EBMM build a better mouse trap for $2300?..It wouldn't shock me...Lakland among others did that years ago. That's all beside the point though. If I can't find the most basic stingray in stores (local or online) it's clear to me I just need to special order one and wait.

Edmang

If I can't find the most basic stingray in stores (local or online) it's clear to me I just need to special order one and wait.

The wait will be tough. But you will be very pleased once it is over and you have your bass.

pudgychef

Congrats on finding your bass. I remember a few years ago all the stores had stingrays in all available colors. Several bursts, transparents, rw/maple varieties available for purchase...was great.

I remember when I was young and could work all day, play all night, and never feel tired.... ;)

I don't see how EBMM could be at fault for in-store stock variety at various retailers - the stores choose what to stock. BUT you can get any of the available colors by placing an order.

Dargin

Ernie Ball Customer Service
Stingray stock in stores is lower as most everyone is preparing for the big launch of the 2018 SR this Summer. We stopped taking orders for "2017" Stingray basses in December. We may have discouraged some ordering before that as well.

bovinehost

Administrator
Stingray stock in stores is lower as most everyone is preparing for the big launch of the 2018 SR this Summer. We stopped taking orders for "2017" Stingray basses in December. We may have discouraged some ordering before that as well.

I'm kind of ready for that.

Top Bottom