• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

hhuffman

Happy Thanksgiving to the American members. I have and really like a 2017 Gibson Firebird. I love both the mini-hums and the rearward shift of the lower bout so that I play between the pickups, and not over the 20-22 frets of a traditional electric.

I also have a JP15, so I am a BIG fan of EBMM quality. Since the St. Vincent has both the aspects that I love about the Firebird (rearward bout and mini-hums), can you compare the two and tell me whether I would be just as happy, if not more with a St. Vincent than a really nice Firebird that I know I like?

I'm not looking for "The St. Vincent is AWESOME!!", as I'm sure it is, but what are the similarities and differences between a Firebird.

Thank you,
Heath

Smellybum

for me the St Vincent is more dynamic in tone, - and the body shape is considerably more comfortable when sitting. I think you'll love the St. Vincent, - go try one....NOW!

hhuffman

I was able to play the St. Vincent (SV) and Firebird (FB) side by side yesterday. I now am convinced that EBMM and Annie used the Firebird as the model for the St. Vincent and said "make the FB for smaller players, and take the things that make the FB awesome, keep them awesome, but make them different." The body is smaller on the SV and for me it rotated in while I was playing (top forward bout rolled into my belly), while the FB rests on my lower ribcage for a more stable playing platform. My arm rested lower on the SV, and I prefer it higher. The pickups are awesome on both. For a comparison I would say that the SV pickups offer 5 cool variations of the same sound, where the FB has two different sounding pickups, which you can blend creating unique tones. Lastly, the SV has a traditional neck, whereas the FB has a narrow neck and wide fretboard. With my big hands the FB neck is a unique and excellent shape, but I could see many others preferring the traditional neck on the SV. In the end I am staying with the FB. If I weren't 6'3" and benefitted from a smaller guitar, the SV may be my choice. Fit and finish of the SV is obviously awesome, but my FB is very well done also. Thank you all for the valuable and appreciated information.

hhuffman

Happy to do so. Most of the YouTube reviews from sites like Anderton's mention the similarities between the SV, and the FB and Explorer, but none that I've seen actually compare the three. I thought that I'd post my findings after doing the work.

Have a wonderful holiday season, and here's to everyone getting all the EBMMs they desire!

Top Bottom