• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dhalif

I'd like some of your views on these models...
I dunno why but sometimes I feel guilty about thinking that I like the standard Jp better..

I am playing my bfr now and I have to say that it has it's own awesome character, however i feel, tonally, fluidity of the standards are better, maybe it's just the more pronounced highs from the alder on the bfr.

don't get me wrong though I still love every piece that Ebmm has put out, and they are OBVIOUSLY the best guitars I ever owned or played..

what do u guys think?
please let me know..

ScoobySteve

I loved the BFR and still do. Every lunch break I'd go to my GC and jam on one. At the time I had a Standard JP6. But my heart lies in the standard. Thr BFr's tone is beautiful and thicker and "chuggier" but it's not for me. I was quite shocked at how different they were tonally.

The basswood feels more open and broad in it's tone. It breathes more. Nice round notes and a less defined attack. My favorite Petrucci tone is Live at Budokan and G3 Tokyo. All standard JP's. That influenced me quite a bit too.

kneeoh

Of all my JP's, BFR or otherwise, my main baby is still my bare-bones black sparkle standard JP. It was my first EBMM and to this day is my favorite. I'm probably crazy for thinking this... but I believe the fact that no extra wood was carved out to accommodate the peizo adds a certain warmth to the overall tone of that particular guitar. None of my other EBMM's sound anything like it.

As far as the feel of them, I have no preference. The finished/unfinished neck thing isn't a big deal to me. Tone-wise, I agree with you. I prefer the darker tone of my Standard JP's.

Having said that, my primary gigging guitar is my BBB JP BFR. For some reason, it is just indestructible. I've dropped it on stage, it suffered being forcibly being jammed on top of carry on luggage in an overhead bin by a cabin attendant, and somehow managed to repel the trunk of a car being slammed shut... all without a scratch. Through it all, it keeps in tune extremely well (all my JP's do, but considering this guitar's history, it's nothing short of amazing).

Now that I'm thinking about it, it appears I go in cycles about which type of JP I prefer on any given day. Damn my short attention span. :D

the24thfret

I own a JPX and a Dargie JP6 currently. The JPX is a similar sound to the BFR models, so I'll say I have both. I find the JPX to be a more well-rounded tone across the spectrum, especially in mids (I assume due to the tone block) and beefier in just about every way. The JP6, though, cuts real well on the high end, and has a bit more of a "scooped" tone with lower mids. I think the JP6 is a more traditional metal guitar, in a sense, because of this tone and the standard basswood body and maple neck with rosewood.

Personally, I prefer the JPX for a wealth of reasons (not just tone, but playability as well) but I totally understand that you may prefer the "original."

dhalif

i just tweaked my presets, and i got the bfr going on for me now haha.. love that its tighter sounding somehow..

smd24fan

I prefer the BFR. Love the heavier, darker tone versus the Standard. Having said that, I love the necks on the Standard. Both are just awesome guitars. Lately I've been putting a lot of miles on my JPX, love the 5-way blade switch.

Top Bottom