• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

xiongac

Hi - I recently bought a stealth black hss MusicMan cutlass. My main rig is all digital through a line6 floor processor. When I go direct from my helix to my audient id14’s di or into my computer directly through usb - I get a sort of staticky/fizzy tone that sits sort of beneath my clean tone. It’s audible. Subtle but audible. The folks at ernie ball suggested adjusting the trim pot inside the guitar. Has anyone else had any issues with this and how did you resolve it?

Thanks

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Statticy fizzy clipped tone sitting under the regular tone? I have that! Guitar - Yamaha THR -> Onyx Producer 2-2 -> USB it's only an issue using zoom during guitar lessons and doesn't seem to come through to my DAW. Happens with any guitar so It's not the guitar, that's for sure. And everything is powered off the same USB hub and/or outlet so it's not an obvious ground loop issue. And it often doesn't occur for some time, but when it does, it never goes away spontaneously.

I'll do some more testing one of these days and see if I can figure it out some more.

xiongac

Statticy fizzy clipped tone sitting under the regular tone? I have that! Guitar - Yamaha THR -> Onyx Producer 2-2 -> USB it's only an issue using zoom during guitar lessons and doesn't seem to come through to my DAW. Happens with any guitar so It's not the guitar, that's for sure. And everything is powered off the same USB hub and/or outlet so it's not an obvious ground loop issue. And it often doesn't occur for some time, but when it does, it never goes away spontaneously.

I'll do some more testing one of these days and see if I can figure it out some more.

Hmmm - I only have that issue with my Cutlass. At first I thought it might be through my monitors only but I recorded something and the fizzy static sound was still there and didn’t change in nature aside from volume of course when I increased or decreased the volume. I can’t figure it out. It doesn’t seem to be there when I run into the front of an amp. Only when I record into a daw. Most of my work now is remote session work. I love the guitar but need to figure out this problem.

Astrofreq

I suspect it is the Line 6 causing the noise. I always thought their products were obnoxiously noisy. I haven’t played with a Helix though

xiongac

I suspect it is the Line 6 causing the noise. I always thought their products were obnoxiously noisy. I haven’t played with a Helix though

It might be the helix in the sense that it doesn’t work well with the cutlass but with both of my other guitars it sounds perfectly fine

Top Bottom