• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

kingdoublecut

I just acquired this beautiful natural quilt top AX30D off Reverb last night. I happened to take a spin through my standard Reverb searches after getting home from a gig and this popped up.

The curious things are:
1. Natural finish quilt...I have never seen one before on a Sterling
2. The stamped "2008" on the back of the headstock. Seller says store he bought it from said it was a prototype. The AX30 was introduced in 2009, albeit without the locking tuners and with burst or transparent finishes.

Anyone have any info on this lovely guitar?

Sterling Axis_2008_3.jpg
Sterling Axis_2008_1.jpg

GWDavis28

Nice looking I'd drop Sterling by Musicman an email with the pics, see if they can help you out.

Glenn |B)

kingdoublecut

Alright...Sterling says this dates to July 2013 and the only time they ever added a stamp to the back of the headstock, it was a small "x" to denote B Stock. Also, the AX30D was never offered in a natural finish. If the finish looks to be factory, then they believe it very well could have been a prototype as they were offered for sale.

In any case, this is a stunning guitar and as long as the pups prove to be original, I will keep it.

edhalen

Alright...Sterling says this dates to July 2013 and the only time they ever added a stamp to the back of the headstock, it was a small "x" to denote B Stock. Also, the AX30D was never offered in a natural finish. If the finish looks to be factory, then they believe it very well could have been a prototype as they were offered for sale.

In any case, this is a stunning guitar and as long as the pups prove to be original, I will keep it.

Check your PM's.

edhalen

Also, as you're a fellow forum member here - if you find that the pups aren't original (I have absolutely no reason to believe they're not given my experience with them) I'll gladly refund your $ and you can send it back to me. Also, the quilt is really nice and I seriously doubt it's not factory. I probably should have pulled the pick ups to prove it with pics with my listing but didn't think to based on what I believe about them. In any case let me know.

And, I should have just listed it here in the forums but Reverb has become a habit for moving stuff and I didn't think about it until I saw your post.

kingdoublecut

Well edhalen...this house is in order! Pups are authentic. Guitar is in amazing condition and the top is stellar. Interesting "U" mark in the neck rout...curious what that means. Wiring sounds different from my 2005 EBMM Axis, but I will put that on the import electronics. Definitely going to upgrade to US components. Weighs just a tad more than my 2005 EBMM Axis.

The stamp on the back of the headstock is clearly "2008" under magnification...again, wonder what that means as neck plate dates to 2013. Maybe not original neck plate? Why would they be building prototypes still 4 years into production? Sterling confirms not a production color.

BTW...glad you posted on Reverb as I would have missed it here most likely.
IMG_0407_web.jpg
IMG_0408_web.jpg

edhalen

So glad you’re happy! I could tell by the sound those pups were the real deal. Plus the triangle pick up routes were a dead giveaway. I’m so glad somebody who truly appreciates that guitar bought it. Have fun and thanks for buying it. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom