• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

RJKANEAO

The AX40D-TP is calling you my friend!

Lol.. Brian. Why not huh? Everyone is at the party already! Lol.. Gotta decide... I'd like to try a D series axe thou.. I'm awaiting a word back from Alan DiMarzio about some things .. :) but I'll be in touch soon.. Tell all the guys and tiff I said hello and I'll be in touch.. Btw, jp70 rocks and the ray35 already has been tracked for the new album.. Silo3 has been gigging and traveling with me a lot.. :) Amazing brother..keep up the awesome work over at SBMM.. I'll hit u up soon.. Aloha

zurcmax1

Hi Ben! Do you know if the saddles that came off of your no name gotoh knock off are hardened steel or zinc? I was thinking about buying one, but prefer the hardened steel vs zinc. Thanks!

dlettau

Hello, I have an AX40D that I am thinking about modding the trem. With the NEW!! Heavy Duty Dual Locking Floyd Rose Trem- BRASS&STEEL that you had a link to what other parts if any would I need to complete this mod. Thanks

BenB5150

Hello, I have an AX40D that I am thinking about modding the trem. With the NEW!! Heavy Duty Dual Locking Floyd Rose Trem- BRASS&STEEL that you had a link to what other parts if any would I need to complete this mod. Thanks

Please note that before you buy this tremolo it will not fit on the Sterling without changing the sustain block . The block mine had on it was too short. It also did not pivot as smoothly on the Sterling pivot studs. This led me to rebuild the Sterling using the saddles off this tremolo. I would not have paid that much just for the saddles. As I stated earlier I found my tremolo on ebay for $20. It's up to you how much you want to spend for parts.

The Gotoh & Floyd Rose bridge have been used to replace the Sterling bridge by other AX 40 owners. You probably could use that bridge if you replace the studs. I didn't want to go to too much trouble and I'm happy with the Sterling trem with the saddle upgrade. It plays well and stays in tune so I'm happy. I hope this helps.

Ben

Luckball

I upgraded my AX40 with a Bourns 500k pot, tone knob and dimarzio style ebmm evh switch.

A BIG THANKS to Brian at Sterling by Music Man for his help guiding me through the wiring to get it right. This guitar sounds great and plays unbelievable. I also have a purple AX40D that I'll probably do the mod to later. And I received my EBMM EVH Amber Quilt today as well. I am truly blessed!

Brian👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0873.JPG

SBMM

I upgraded my AX40 with a Bourns 500k pot, tone knob and dimarzio style ebmm evh switch.

A BIG THANKS to Brian at Sterling by Music Man for his help guiding me through the wiring to get it right. This guitar sounds great and plays unbelievable. I also have a purple AX40D that I'll probably do the mod to later. And I received my EBMM EVH Amber Quilt today as well. I am truly blessed!

Brian����������������������������

You are very welcome sir! Always glad to assist :)

Usr11242

Help with SUB AX4 switch...

Hi there Ben.

Thanks for posting your mods. I'm getting ready to begin a major upgrade to my Sterling SUB ax4. Routed/Recessed Floyd 1000 vs the Sterling trem. Duncan JB/Jazz pickup set. Should be a killer guitar! It already is pretty darn close lol.

My question is about the factory wiring/switching. Mainly, can you tell me what position activates which pickup or coil combo? During the upgrade, I'd like to have 2 single coils for a spanky Tele tone. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

BenB5150

Hi there Ben.

Thanks for posting your mods. I'm getting ready to begin a major upgrade to my Sterling SUB ax4. Routed/Recessed Floyd 1000 vs the Sterling trem. Duncan JB/Jazz pickup set. Should be a killer guitar! It already is pretty darn close lol.

My question is about the factory wiring/switching. Mainly, can you tell me what position activates which pickup or coil combo? During the upgrade, I'd like to have 2 single coils for a spanky Tele tone. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I’m not too familiar with the AX4 wiring and switching, but it models the Axis Super Sport so I assume it has similar switching options. Here is what each position is supposed to activate.
http://static.music-man.com.s3-us-w...cs/2016-01-01/CFD+Axis+SS+Guitar+20160101.pdf

I’m sure there are other ways to wire it up for different combinations.

Usr11242

Hi again Ben.

Thanks for the help with the wiring/switching. Helps to know what I'm working with. Don't think I'm going to make any changes there. I get some good tones as it is.

I'm ready to do the upgrades tomorrow. New FR 1000 in black chrome, Duncan JB bridge/Jazz in neck position.

I've decided against the routing/recessed trem. It's expensive, and a little risky with my limited experience. I've heard that others have had success with adding a shim to re-angle to neck for limited floating for up/down trem. I've looked for a thread where someone has advice but had no luck. I've read somewhere that as little as 2 layers of masking tape was enough. Certainly don't want to overdo it, have to disassemble/reassemble too many times.

Would you have any input on this matter? Or maybe point me in the right direction.

Thanks for all your help thus far.
Usr

BenB5150

Hi again Ben.

Thanks for the help with the wiring/switching. Helps to know what I'm working with. Don't think I'm going to make any changes there. I get some good tones as it is.

I'm ready to do the upgrades tomorrow. New FR 1000 in black chrome, Duncan JB bridge/Jazz in neck position.

I've decided against the routing/recessed trem. It's expensive, and a little risky with my limited experience. I've heard that others have had success with adding a shim to re-angle to neck for limited floating for up/down trem. I've looked for a thread where someone has advice but had no luck. I've read somewhere that as little as 2 layers of masking tape was enough. Certainly don't want to overdo it, have to disassemble/reassemble too many times.

Would you have any input on this matter? Or maybe point me in the right direction.

Thanks for all your help thus far.
Usr

I would raise it up off the body and try to keep it parallel to the body. You’re going to be limited on how far it will pull up but you should be able to get something useful out of it. You’re on the right track with shimming the neck. Unfortunately it’s going to be trial and error to get it to where it needs to be. I’ve seen people use business cards & even guitar picks as shims. You will probably need to adjust the pickup height as well. If you hit a snag I’m sure a good guitar tech can get it set up for you if you’re not able to get it set up right.

Top Bottom