• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Old Picker

Where can I find info on the pin out of the 5 way switch in the Sterling Axis AX3S?

I've been intrigued by the different models that have come out as a result of Leo Fender's work. And I got really intrigued by the Sterling AXIS AX3S that came up on Sweetwater's Scratch and Dent offer. When the Axis arrived I couldn't find any scratches or dents, but I'm not sure that the 5 way switch was wired up entirely correctly. Using the simple tap test I found:
Counting from the Bridge to the Neck:
Position 1 is both coils of the Bridge HB.
Position 2 is the split inner (not-screw) coils of both HBs.
Position 3 is all coils from both HBs.
Position 4 is both of the Neck HB coils but sounds weaker than Position 5.
Position 5 is both coils of the Neck HB but sounds much fuller than Position 4.

I'm wondering most about Position 4. Could it be out of phase? I would like to make it be the outer coils from both Pups.

I opened the access panel on the back and found:
Pin 1 = red wire from Bridge Pup
Pin 2 = red jumper to pin 7
Pin 3 = green wire from Neck Pup
Pin 4 = red wire to Volume Pot lug 1 (left side)
Pin 5 = black and white wires from Bridge Pup
Pin 6 = black wire to Volume Pot case
Pin 7 = black from Neck Pup and red wire to pin 2

Pin 8 = white wire from Neck Pup

I'm thinking that making Position 4 be both of the outer (screw) coils could be as simple as moving one wire.

Oh, and any idea what the pickups are? I like the tones. The specs posted by Sweetwater say:
Neck Pickup Sterling by Music Man Humbucker
Bridge Pickup Sterling by Music Man Humbucker

The bridge Pup seems to be a lot hotter than the Neck Pup. The Neck sounds very warm, full and rich.

Cheers,
TC

beej

I'm not familiar with the SBMM guitars- maybe someone here can chime in. But I thought position 4 was the split neck (one of the coils). So it would be weaker than position 5.

The pickups are SBMMs own pickups.

Old Picker

It would be OK if position 4 was split Neck, but both coils are definitely on. In position 2 with both HBs split and the inner coils On, the outer coils are both clearly Off.

Yeah, I like the pickups. It always cracks me up when someone gets a new guitar, people ask, "What pickups are you going to put in it?" I'm not changing these.

Johnny Alien

That position is (I think) the neck pickup wired parallel thus the weaker output. I think what you want is how the Music Man Super Sport is wired so you could probably just go by those wiring specs.

Old Picker

Oh! OK. If it's wired parallel, I might be able to live with that. The tone is a bit different than the other positions.

But I play with mostly clean tones, sometimes with a couple different effects, sometimes with dirt, but never high gain. So I'm kind of talking myself into wanting to hear the Neck Split tone. Where would I find the Music Man Super Sport wiring specs and if they use the same 5-way switch. I'm guessing that there is some secret sauce inside the 5-way switch box.

Johnny Alien

This thread has a PDF attached

Old Picker

Hmmm... very interesting! But I see a big difference ... the switch in the diagram has 2 rows of 12 pins. The switch in the Sterling Axis has 1 row of 8 pins. So the diagram has a very different switch. I'll think on this for a bit.

Thanks for digging that info up!
TC

beej

The EBMM Axis Super Sport uses a 5-way 4-pole lever switch. So you’d need to replace the switch to use that wiring.

That said, there’s not a huge difference between inside coils and outside coils so you’d have to decide if it’s worth the work.

Old Picker

Great point. I've been wondering how much difference there would be between the inner and outer coils. As it is, I have 5 different tones from the 5 positions and I have other guitars that have good split HB tones or real single coils. I think you all have won me over.

I like to practice with all of the tonal options on a guitar so that I learn what a guitar can give me. Using Position 4 I got a clear chimey bell-like tone that is not too far off the Position 4 on my Player Strat, so yeah, I found some tone that is really close to what I'm looking for.

Thanks guys!
Play on!
TC

beej

Yeah- that's about right. Position 2 and 4 are tweaks on the same sound. Not worth making too much of a fuss about, IMO.

If you're curious about the sonic differences, you can always temporarily wire things up (or use alligator clips, etc.) and make some recordings to compare, and see what you like.

Johnny Alien

Personally I don't like split humbucker tones. Not just with these pickups just in general. I always just switch to a 3 way switch for simplicity.

Old Picker

Personally I don't like split humbucker tones. Not just with these pickups just in general. I always just switch to a 3 way switch for simplicity.
Yeah, I realize that the split tones are not true single coils, I just like having the variety available. The split tones tend to be clearer than the HB tone. On some songs I like using the 2 and 4 positions for rhythm parts. Then I flip to a HB for lead parts when I need that boost.

Top Bottom