• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Tonycass

Brand new to the forum.

I've saved enough cash to splurge on a new toy and came across the LK100KK.

A bit of background. I'm a home player that uses guitar as a distraction from the bustle of every day life. I don't gig, but do have the chance to play with friends pretty often. I play through a headrush gigboard and a pair of FRFR 108's. My current guitars are: Squire Classic Vibe Strat, PRS SE24, Epliphone 339 Pro, and a Yamaha acoustic. I play everything except metal. I play every day so I like having lots of choices to "mix things up" and inspire.

In my new toy search I am looking to add a bit of variety to my meager guitar collection and have about $600 to spend and like purchasing new guitars even though I know I can get more for my $$ used.

I am circling the LK100. It checks a lot of boxes for me. My one concern is that it may be very similar to my PRS SE24. Since I can't give the Luke a trial run I figured I'd ask you fine folks if you have any experience with these guitars to shed some light on how they may be similar and what might set the Luke apart.

Thanks in advance for the help.

LordRiffenstein

I haven't played a Sterling Luke but the key points are the same from what I can see with the EBMM. The "V" profile on the neck is unlike anything I've played before, it's extraordinarily comfortable to me. It also has a built in boost/preamp which is incredibly useful. The roasted maple necks also to me at least feel very luxurious. Again, my experience is with the EBMM but the features I love about it are present in the Sterling. Hopefully someone with more hands on experience can chime in for you.

KDude

I am circling the LK100. It checks a lot of boxes for me. My one concern is that it may be very similar to my PRS SE24. Since I can't give the Luke a trial run I figured I'd ask you fine folks if you have any experience with these guitars to shed some light on how they may be similar and what might set the Luke apart.

Thanks in advance for the help.

It'll be more like the Squier Strat actually. A Petrucci would be a little more in the PRS category since it also has 24 frets.. but even then, it's not the same due to PRS's shorter scale length. The only similarity with the Luke and PRS is the humbuckers, but looks can be deceiving. In my experience, the 25.5 scale of EBMM/Sterling and Fender/Squier are more of a defining factor in what "family" or sonic territory the guitar is in. It brings out the "snappiness" people associate with the Leo Fender sound. Even with humbuckers. You'll just a get bit more oomph (or a lot more, rather). In my humble opinion, it's the best (that is, 25.5, 22 fret, humbuckers). If you don't have one, then you must :D

Bryan

While I was shopping for my Luke, I sat down with a US and Sterling Luke side by side and played both for about an hour total.

Sound wise, they were basically identical. That comes mostly from shared electronics. If you want a "swiss army knife" guitar, the Luke is where it's at. I can cover everything from classic rock, hair metal, country, jazz, and most everything in between. (I'm not a jazz player, but a local jazz guru took it for a spin and I was floored.)

So it sounds like this is what you're looking for. The neck on the Sterling is not as "refined" as the US, but the neck finish has a lot to do with that. Otherwise, they are very similar.

If I had bought the Sterling I would not have been disappointed with the purchase. But at the time I had a little bit more saved, so I splurged and got the US.

But if anything happened to mine and funds were limited, I would buy a Sterling this afternoon and gig with it tonight!

Hope this helps!!

Top Bottom