• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Mace13

Hi all, I’m thinking of going Sterling this time around (after a few EBMM JP’s). Questions on the Cutlass by Sterling:

- Can the 5 way selector be set (or must it modded) so a position splits the humbucker?

- Can the humbucker be split with some other type of mod (push/push pot on tone for example)

- Any burning reasons to upgrade to a EBMM Cutlass? I see the EBMM has a better trem, noise canceling circuit, SS frets. Anything other real must haves from your experience?

- When does Sterling typically come out with new models? The Cutlass Plus is showing as sold out on the SterlingMusicMan web site.

Thanks much!

Mace13

Well, I went ahead and got a Sterling Cutlass CT50X. Really plays fantastic, really nice. Amazing at band practice the night I got it via FedEx I only had to tune 2 strings a little bit. Rock solid. Sterling fretwork is smooth, locking tuners and the truss rod adjustment wheel. Really good for the price. I think the full on EBMM Cutlass would win out in trem system and electronics and finish.

Anyway, if anyone has any insights on rewiring a 5 way switch to split the humbucker on these I’d appreciate any insights (is this humbucker even splitable)?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Congrats! I;m so happy you like it! Any photos?

I don't know off the top of my head if the HB is splittable. Have a look under the pickguard and see if it's a two or four conductor wire. The stock EBMM Cutlass humbucker is not splittable, by the way.

Mace13

Yeah, had to do a restring tonight since the strings were a little crusty (probably sitting a long time inventory). The tuning machines sure aren’t Schaller but they work :) They are noticeably looser feeling and not as smooth and silky as the Schallers.

I’m really loving this guitar so far! It feels and plays very easily and smoothly. This is my first guitar with true single coils and that is real reason I got it. It was a bit cheaper than equivalent Fenders and honestly, a better value with more features.

I’m pretty sure I’ll put in a different splitable humbucker at some point, likely soon. That and a push-push tone pot to split it.

here are some pics..but it isn’t a work of art like the EBMM’s and the wonderful finishes. But the roasted maple neck is lovely and baby blue brings happy thoughts.

All in all, this has been a great purchase to dabble with single coils.

Cutlass CT50X 1.jpg Cutlass CT50X 2.jpg Cutlass CT50X 3.jpg

Top Bottom