• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

tbonesullivan

It's probably been discussed before, but my thread searches turned up nothing. I've had my Morse for a few years now, and originally it still had the stock strings, which are 10p-13p-16p-26w-32w-42w (Custom RPS Slinkys) This is the top 4 strings from a .010 gauge set, with the two bottom strings from a .009 gauge set. They wore out, so I replaced them with a standard 10 gauge set of slinkies.

I'm wondering if maybe I should go back to what Steve uses. Right now the sound seems to be kinda bass heavy, and I wondered if maybe that's why Steve uses the smaller A and E string.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Fro

The correct answer is always regular Slinkys 10s.

tbonesullivan

Ok, guess I'll probably stick with the 10s, also because finding just A and E strings will result in lots of extra strings.

xjbebop

I've special ordered 9.5 sets in the past (they were few & far between...), and really like them for certain guitars.
Very happy to see the new "Turbo Slinkys" in 9.5! They might be worth a try for a lot of folks...

banjoplayer

I am using slinkys 010-046 and I´m pretty sure Steve Morse switched to Super Slinky 009-042 because of his wrist issues. I think he also switched vom Heavy picks to thinner ones (I believe Medium) to make playing easier for his damaged wrist.
Do you really think, you could hear the difference between a A 032/036 or E 042/046? I would not!

Top Bottom