• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Terry007

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a second Music man guitar. I need a double hum bucking guitar.

I have a Valentine and I love the roasted neck, it's the best neck I have ever played. Since the two guitar both have mahogany bodies and twin HB's, I'm curious what the difference in sound might be. How does the neck profile of the AL compare to the Sting Ray RS?

darchirnoj

I have played an AL humbucker with rosewood neck. Great guitar.

But my Stingray RS has SS frets and is incredible.
I’m biased, so with all due respect to Mr. Lee, I say StingRay RS!

edhalen

I've owned an AL HH and it is an outstanding guitar. That said, the SR's neck is even better than the AL for me. More beef for my large hands while still being slim enough on the g,b and e strings for comfortable soloing. The pickups have a very classic sounding rock tone to them and clean up perfectly. To top it all off the SS frets are outstanding. Also, the body style and size fit me way better than the AL. More comfortable for me playing either seated (99% of the time) or standing.

Ishmun

I've owned an AL HH and it is an outstanding guitar. That said, the SR's neck is even better than the AL for me. More beef for my large hands while still being slim enough on the g,b and e strings for comfortable soloing. The pickups have a very classic sounding rock tone to them and clean up perfectly. To top it all off the SS frets are outstanding. Also, the body style and size fit me way better than the AL. More comfortable for me playing either seated (99% of the time) or standing.

Tone-wise, did you find them similar given they're both mahogany bolt-ons?

edhalen

Tone-wise, did you find them similar given they're both mahogany bolt-ons?

Fairly similar - although with the Axis pups in the AL there's a bit more high end. Not much though. At least to my ears.

Top Bottom