• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

danny-79

Morning/evening all. I’ve not logged in here for a while now so it’s been some nice reading.
I have two stingrays (Leighton and SunBlue as they are fondly called) there both 2005 era. The one is an LE model with a compensated nut so it makes sense to keep that in standard EADG (or Half a step down as it is currently) on that I use coated steels 105-50 gauge
SunBlue is set up in BEAD for that I use the same brand of coated steels in a 130-65 gauge. Pretty easy to convert if you are used to setting your own basses up (as said in previous posts. The nut will need to be adjusted to accommodate the heavier strings. Truss rod adjustments and most importantly intonation. Keep playing it making minor adjustments as you go)
For me it’s one of the best moves I ever made. Five strings are not my thing so it’s the only option. It WILL totally change your playing style for better. Two basses. Two tunings. The possibilities are endless!
(My low B will happily drop down to A. It’s all in the set up)

SugarMaple

Thanks for the tips!

You all have helped me get some direction here.

Last month, I joined a good band that plays a lot of modern country. I'm up to 4 songs and counting on my BEAD bass currently, plus some Drop-D's. I like having one bass in BEAD and one in EADG, just like you say danny-79. Five strings are also not my thing.

I have also (over the years) really nailed down my preference to 1.5 inch nut, oil/wax neck and Music Man sound. My Sterling 4 HS is just heaven to play on. It's my EADG bass. I have a couple of old Stingrays - love the look and sound, but hate the 1 5/8" nut. My current BEAD bass is another brand - it's got a 1.5 inch nut, but has a gloss neck and doesn't have the MM sound.

Sometime this month, my new Stingray SLO Special arrives. It will hopefully bump the Sterling out of the #1 slot. After I play it a while and make that decision, I'll either convert the Sterling to BEAD or look for a second SLO Special if I want to keep alternate #1's. The old Stingrays are likely gonna be sold - I just don't enjoy the wider necks now. Could sell 'em both and get a second SLO.

Anyways, thanks for helping, and reading my thoughts and plans. It's all coming together, I think....

Top Bottom