• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sluggo B

My dog pissed all over my #1 Stingray. I need to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. I can't figure out how to get the bridge off, It looks like, other than the 3 screws towards th e back, It's attached using screws through the studs on either side of the B and G strings. I've tried a few different screw drivers, allen wrenches, torx bits, etc. but nothing grabs.

Any help is welcomed.
Thanks!

danny-79

Think i used a T25 last time I removed a bridge, the anchor bolts don’t need to be jumped on tight either when you put it back together. If they are tight to remove give them a gentle tap with a toffee hammer (gentle being the word) then tighten it slightly before undoing it.

danny-79

I believe those studs ARE the screws.
They are, and they hold the bridge down pretty solidly (alan or totx to remove them).
Im still slightly intrigued to as why they have done away with them recently on the new basses , what’s holding the new ones down ? I’m definitely interested in finding out

tbonesullivan

They are, and they hold the bridge down pretty solidly (alan or totx to remove them).
Im still slightly intrigued to as why they have done away with them recently on the new basses , what’s holding the new ones down ? I’m definitely interested in finding out
I think they attach to brass bushings sunk into the body. However they do add a significant amount of weight to the bass.

danny-79

I think they attach to brass bushings sunk into the body. However they do add a significant amount of weight to the bass.
That’s correct on brass bushes. I wouldn’t of thought in the grand scheme of it all the extra weight of a couple of bolts and fittings would add that much weight that it’s worth doing away with seeing as what it’s function is.
If the bass is through body strung then I could understand that the bridge doesn’t need to be anchored down so tight as if it were top loaded.

For me , the anchor Bolts look reliable, solid, not going to move how ever hard to play..

what is the new style bridge held down by ?

Last edited:

Rod Trussbroken

That’s correct on brass bushes. I wouldn’t of thought in the grand scheme of it all the extra weight of a couple of bolts and fittings would add that much weight that it’s worth doing away with seeing as what it’s function is.
If the bass is through body strung then I could understand that the bridge doesn’t need to be anchored down so tight as if it were top loaded.

For me , the anchor Bolts look reliable, solid, not going to move how ever hard to play..

what is the new style bridge held down by ?
New bridges are held down with three screws at the end. Same as the previous top-load bridge but now without the anchor bolts.

The three screws were originally added when the older Pre-EB bridges became top-loaded. But the anchor bolts were retained (perhaps to prevent the saddles moving about ???). There appears to be no saddle probs with the new bridges.

I still like the look of anchor bolts though :)

danny-79

New bridges are held down with three screws at the end. Same as the previous top-load bridge but now without the anchor bolts.

The three screws were originally added when the older Pre-EB bridges became top-loaded. But the anchor bolts were retained (perhaps to prevent the saddles moving about ???). There appears to be no saddle probs with the new bridges.

I still like the look of anchor bolts though :)
yeah I’m definitely a fan of the anchor bots, reassuringly solid looking, the saddles are not going to slide and you couldn’t rip the bridge off with your bare hands even if you wanted to

Chrisxedge

I’m actually bummed about the new bridges. I feel like the e and g saddles move around a lot on my 2019 ebmm stingray special 4hh. An issue I don’t have with my 2017 or my 1999 stingrays. So much so, that I rarely play it. Maybe I can run a zip tie around the bolts and springs.

Also, super surprised not to have seen a “p bass” joke in here.

danny-79

I’m actually bummed about the new bridges. I feel like the e and g saddles move around a lot on my 2019 ebmm stingray special 4hh. An issue I don’t have with my 2017 or my 1999 stingrays. So much so, that I rarely play it. Maybe I can run a zip tie around the bolts and springs.

Also, super surprised not to have seen a “p bass” joke in here.
Is was/feel quite lucky with my 2019 Bongo5 I’m guessing it was during the transition. Light weight tuners and still got the bridge with anchor bolts on it.
(I’ve got a feeling I’ve said that before somewhere but I’m full of seasonal cheery flu so excuse me if I have)
I’m very happy with my Bongo anyways

Top Bottom