• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Wiredin

I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on a Stingray RS in Firemist Silver. I've been visiting it in the store a lot recently and while I won't be buying that specific one on the shelf (need to wait until March to bring home a new guitar, I promised the wife!) but I can't stop thinking about it.

The problem I'm running into is... is it too similar to my PRS Custom 24 tonally? Mine is the rotary dial CU24 so it has a ton of sounds in it. I also own a Les Paul Traditional that doesn't see much use because it's so much heavier than the CU24 and they fill a similar sound (LP is a bit brighter).

I would love to add an Ernie Ball to my stable. I'm leaning towards the Stingray but I visit the St. Vincent a lot too... but at almost $1000 Canadian more it's hard to justify.

Also, how easy is the RS to mod? I would want to put a dual stack pot for vol/tone and move the selector to where the tone used to be then add a stereo jack. Can the stock pickups be coil tapped?

Astrofreq

I don't know anything about mods, but I'm guessing the pickups are 4-wire, which would make them easy to be tapped.

As far as tonally, I think the EBMM just outshines PRS, especially in the pickup department. I always thought PRS's were gorgeous and extremely well made, but the pickups just never had any attitude IMHO.

I certainly don't think you were have even 1 second of regret getting a Stingray. That will probably be the next for me as well.

Wiredin

Wiredin

I went and visited the shop for an hour last night... yea, next guitar is an Ernieball for sure...but now the plan is muddy. I plugged into an Orange Rockerverb 50 MKIII and just jammed out on the Stingray RS, St. Vincent, Valentine, Cutlass, a PRS Custom 24, and Gibson RD Artist.

The Stingray RS was by far my favorite, but the St. Vincent was super cool too... the Valentine was awesome, but not what I'm looking for. The Cutlass is not at all what I'm looking for, and the PRS is very different tonally and play-ability to the Stingray. The RD Artist was closest, but with the shorter scale was very disappointing (I owned an original 1978 model a few years ago)

The Stingray vs St. Vincent is the question. Colour would be the Sunburst or Silver for the Stingray, blue for the St. Vincent...

Stingray - Just amazing when the amp is balls to the wall. Cleans up nice, but not a unique enough tone to write about. The neck is chunky but surprisingly fast to move around on, just love the string spacing. It reminds me more of an SG in tone than anything. It's darker than my PRS but more aggressive at the same time. The only thing I don't like is the pickup switch location.

The St. Vincent - is a VERY different animal. It is the coolest and most unique sounding guitar I've ever played. Not to mention how it feels, that full rosewood neck is to die for. It's a very small neck which took more than a minute for me to adapt too after JUST finishing playing on the Stingray... or is the Stingray neck just that big. When the amp is cranked and running hot it's got a really fat, round, but surprisingly well defined. go to the clean channel and slap on some fuzz and it's very interesting... just unique. Clean tones are amazing, very versatile, fluety and honky. almost like a saxophone. Such a cool guitar.

Wiredin

I was surprised at how much I liked the St Vincent when I picked it up. Just cool tones everywhere.

it is. It's such a unique and cool guitar. I'm curious if the Sterling version is close enough tone wise.... there isn't one close enough to me to find out tho. For 1/3 the price I'm not expecting the same quality but I heard the Sterlings are better than your average off shore.

I really want both guitars... the Stingray RS because it's such a brilliant guitar tonally and playability wise.. but it does slot into a lot of the same positions as my other guitars (see PRS custom 24 and Les Paul) while the St. Vincent is a very unique sounding machine and just looks wicked cool.

Good thing I'm in no rush right now... but it won't stop me flip flopping between the two models for sure.

Top Bottom