• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

tbonesullivan

I've been on the Fence about picking up a Stingray 5 Special HH. I had thought about getting a 4 HH for a while, but I've really gotten used to having that B string, and as I play finger style or pick, a 4 banger doesn't really have any bonuses for me in terms of string spacing for slap. I currently have a Stingray 5H Alnico, and a Stingray 5 HS ceramic, and honestly while I love the 5HS's versatility, I've never been that enthusiastic about the sound I get form the Position 1, the iconic bridge humbucker. It just doesn't have something that the 5H does, and it's not due to the series wiring, as I like both the series and parallel mode of the 5H better. Maybe I just don't "get" the sound of the Ceramic stingray 5, which is the same sound as the sterling 5.

I've listened to a bunch of reviews and sound clips of the 5HH, and it definitely looks like it can get "THAT" sound. The stingray bridge pickup in parallel sound. I used to also have a 4H, but sold it because the 5H Alnico did everything it could do, and it was just redundant. Has anyone gone through a similar experience? Any advice for a tone hound?

mynan

I've not played a Special yet, but I have a Sterling 5 and have owned an Alnico Stingray 5 and a Bongo 5. Given the differences in tone between those 3 and that the Specials have Neodymium pickups and an 18v preamp I would definitely try it first, or get advice from a reliable source as to whether or not the Specials sound like an Alnico Stingray. My guess is that EBMM did everything they could with the preamp to get the Specials able to mimic the original Stingrays, but it's just a guess.

tbonesullivan

I've not played a Special yet, but I have a Sterling 5 and have owned an Alnico Stingray 5 and a Bongo 5. Given the differences in tone between those 3 and that the Specials have Neodymium pickups and an 18v preamp I would definitely try it first, or get advice from a reliable source as to whether or not the Specials sound like an Alnico Stingray. My guess is that EBMM did everything they could with the preamp to get the Specials able to mimic the original Stingrays, but it's just a guess.
The demos I have heard were very encouraging. Though the problem is always "how will it sound through my rig". Now I just need to figure out where I can find one to try out. They aren't as easy to find at guitar center as they used to be.

Cory778

I’d consider myself top tier music man fanboi.
I own over 15 SR5’s and I cannot get the HH’s to sound good to me for the life of me. May be my specific setup but I echo your thoughts on the H.

I did put HH nordstrand big blademans in one of my stingrays and quite enjoy that. But I’m a stock pickup H guy for the most part. Just cannot vibe w the stock HH.

tbonesullivan

I’d consider myself top tier music man fanboi.
I own over 15 SR5’s and I cannot get the HH’s to sound good to me for the life of me. May be my specific setup but I echo your thoughts on the H.

I did put HH nordstrand big blademans in one of my stingrays and quite enjoy that. But I’m a stock pickup H guy for the most part. Just cannot vibe w the stock HH.
Yeah... I really like the HS because I can get lots of USABLE sounds. When I tried out HHs they were just too boomy except in the bridge position, and the "quack" positions. With the neck H and all four coils, it was just too much.

Top Bottom