• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

SCT

I am searching for a pick-up/ EQ combination that will give me some growl out of my SR5, as in something that resembles "that jazz bass growl". While I have no trouble getting a nice, well defined tone I would like something with some teeth in it for playing Texas boogie. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5486.jpg
    IMG_5486.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5487.JPG
    IMG_5487.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 21

Bo.cox

well for the price of your ray you could of got a damn good jazz bass

Attachments

• $T2eC16VHJG!FFm40JyY5BSISnYm8n!~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16VHJG!FFm40JyY5BSISnYm8n!~~60_57.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 91

SWR_n_EB

EQ

Hey, i think the StringRay 5 is a great way to go. I think if u messed with the Eq a little, u could get the sound your looking for. A great part about MusicMan's is their pickups, which give them thier great sound.

try and pull of the lows on the EQ and add midds, and some highs. Get the switch in whatever position you want, maybe the position close to the neck. They to pluck the strings cloer to the bridge than you would normally. It'ss just a lot of small things, that will get you close to what ur looking for. Plus u also have settings on you amp, which can affect the sound tremendously. So I'd just have a session where you messwith different settings, till you find the growl that makes Jazz basses so great.

Hope it helps.:)

Last edited:

SCT

As a matter of fact I do have a nice jazz bass. I didn't mean I wanted the SR5 to sound like a jazz, I just am looking for a little growl. I thought I might happen onto someone who knew the recipe and could save me some time.;)

Attachments

• 20170929_100722.jpg
    20170929_100722.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 34
  • Stingray 2 b.jpg
    Stingray 2 b.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 26

Augusto Lopez

I think you can achieve a different kind of growl. Maybe Flea's sound on Alanis Morissette "You ought'a know" could be an example of the growl I'm talking about.
You would never achieve a darker kind of growl(like a Warwick Thumb Bass for instance) due to the lighter wood the MM is made of. Cranking up the mids a bit flat on the trebble and maybe 3 o'clock on the bass can do the trick; if your amp has a "bright" switch maybe try it on bringing down the trebble on the bass.
Cheers
Augusto

Eric Moesle

My SR5 growls, even snarls.

Low action is key. Get your action really low, the slightest bit of fret buzz adds to the growl.

Toggle switch towards bridge. Keep bass knob centered, mid range a tad more than center. Play back on the strings just over the pickup, perhaps a tad behind. Keep the pre-gain on your amp high, to where the pre-gain clip light blinks occassionally when you play.

That being said, I get more growl out of my poplar-bodied SR5 than I do my swamp ash SR5. I would've thought it to be the other way around. Go figure.

SCT

I am not sure what body wood this unit is but it has a honey burst finish. My toggle has been in the bridge position but I have had the mids cut somewhat, perhaps that's my problem.

Thanks. I appreciate all replies.

Top Bottom