• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Petenickx74

Hey, This is my first post here, how's everybody doing?
So, quick question for anyone with more knowledge than myself (because this thing has me baffled).
I was playing my guitar when all of a sudden my high E string turns red hot and shatters sending flaming sparks across the floor! I **** you not, one witness. I sustained a minor burn on my palm and it melted my guitar a bit in two places. No other strings were damaged.
I am a little hesitant to restring now.
I can confirm that is was NOT caused by a power surge.

Why did this happen?

Other errata: Just minutes before the incident I was playing with a piece of copper piping as a makeshift slide.

Gear: Epiphone Les Paul that's at least 10 years old and a small fender combo amp. Ernie Ball strings.

Thanks

Petenickx74

31114_506439866603_331200177_150591_4111991_n.jpg

This is the hand burn, I gotta go to work otherwise I'd take some pictures of the guitar.

I'll post later tonight.

zuma

I don't know what happened but that's one cool story! Or is that a HOT story?! Ha ha ha.

Seriously, glad that you are okay man. I suppose it could have been worse. I am really interested to know what happened. You need the MythBusters to figure this one out!

TNT

Pete,

You came into contact with "live" current somehow on that string (if what you say happened that way). However you probably wouldn't be here to talk about it.

That is similar to how a "toaster" works.

Spudmurphy

TNT - that sounds very plausible (I beginning to sound like "Mythbusters"!)

I saw it happen once about 30 years ago - Paul Chapman (ex UFO) was playing a small club in Cardiff called the New Moon and received bad burns to his fretting hand. - basically an electric shock - so I would say get your gear checked out and the electrics in the place that it happened. - it could have killed Paul!!!.

Guitarburetor

Ernie Ball strings are definitely hot, but that's not the reason for your "strings on fire" incident! I had a similar incident a few years ago, and it was shocking literally and psychologically...

In my case, I bumped my microphone with the G string machine head on my Music Man pre- Albert Lee Axis guitar. There was a huge cracking arc, and the G string began burning like a sparkler from the machine head post to the locking string clamp!

I had to put the guitar down and compose myself before changing the string and investigating the cause. What happened is that my guitar amp was plugged into an outlet where the Neutral and Hot wires were reversed. The PA system was plugged into another outlet with correct wiring, and when my guitar touched the mike it was a short circuit.

The Nickel plated high carbon steel string burned quite well- to my surprise! Because of the locking nut, my string only burned to the string clamp and there were 6 strings from there to the bridge carrying the current, so they only got a little warm. I can imagine that all of that juice going through a single string could be VERY hot!

My guess is that you have serious wiring issue somewhere in the room and you touched a bad ground, possibly without even knowing it happened. There are devices that you can plug into an outlet with LEDs on them that will tell you if the outlets are properly wired. If you do this and don't find anything strange, I would consult a good electrician to check out your wiring, including the amp, and any other related gear.

Sorry about what happened, but I'm glad that you are here to tell us about your experience!

Guitarburetor

BTW, was the copper pipe part of the plumbing in the building? If so, this could definitely be the reason, and should be checked with your electrical system!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Yes, agreeing with everyone else, electrical fault is obvious choice here. DO get your electrical wiring and equipment checked out by a professional. Something there is very badly amiss.

In all seriousness, you may not realise just how close you came to your own funeral.

Spudmurphy

Spud,

Anymore info on that incident??!!

Gosh that was a long long time ago - before Paul became "famous".

It was a club that I had played at, and was a popular venue for bands.

I'm guessing that it was a (his) gear problem.

Paul lives in the USA now and the last time I saw him was Xmas 2 years ago so I'll not get an answer in the near time.

Petenickx74

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have my gear plugged into a Monster Cable surge protector
pro800.jpg

I wonder why it didn't provide me effective protection?

The copper piece was free from previous use. Also, the string burned up minutes after I put it down.

I was, however, standing on a concrete floor (had my shoes on thankfully)

I guess it was a good thing I was playing an open note at the time!

Top Bottom