• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

St_G

I mean...it will dive bomb and return to tension in tune. What more do I need?

Isnt it weird that they again chose to go with a standard tremolo? From what ive seen live STV used to be really intro fuzzy, crazy sounds and tremolo noises. Same thing with Mariposa.

St_G

Anybody ever peek under the hood on these pickups and see how they're built?

NickNihil

I haven't but all word suggests they're standard minihumbucker construction with the gold foil covers being purely cosmetic, if that's what you're wondering.

St_G

After hearing them and seeing the output specs (... somewhere...) that surprises the crap outta me. Was really thinking they might be using Firebird construction or even something akin to the miniature Filter'trons that GFS makes.

I haven't but all word suggests they're standard minihumbucker construction with the gold foil covers being purely cosmetic, if that's what you're wondering.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
To the best of my knowledge all gold foil covers were cosmetic. The "original" gold foil pickups were weird single coils with weak ferrite magnets. The foil was usually just metalized paper stamped or embossed to look pretty and keep dust and dirt from getting in the pickup. The foil had no effect on the tone at all.

And while people think of a wide spectrum tone somewhere between single coils and P90s in reality there were lots of variations. A bright mini-humbucker is not out of keeping with the vibe and with the advantage of being humbucking.

St_G

They definitely kick the crap out of the DiMarzios in my OG-St V, at lower gain. Those DiMs hold together supernaturally well at full gonzo fuzz, but at the expense of cleaning up a bit dully.

I'm amazed that the Golidies came in so much brighter without being drastically underwound, which is about the only way I know to brighten a pickup when everything else - including the 250k pots - remains the same. Magnet swaps, ime, don't make THAT much difference. Which is all to say: I don't know how CH did it. Very impressive.

THis is a very good design job by chris harrington His first since Dudley retired!

Last edited:

NickNihil

They're on another level for sure-haven't heard anything quite like them (not that that's necessarily saying a whole lot). In the same ballpark, sure, but these scratch some pretty hard to reach spots. Mojo for days.

Top Bottom