• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

_golem

Also remember the EBMM pickups in the LIII are the stock Cutlass single coils, the only thing different was the humbucker. There is nothing worng with those pickups at all! AMAZING sounding pickups.
I feel like that's correct only for certain years. I know the LIII I have has all Dimarzios. I don't really see anything clearly written that explains when they switched over.

beej

There isn't really any information on why they switched. They've been doing more pickup development in recent years, it's possible Luke just preferred the in-house pickups.

_golem

There isn't really any information on why they switched. They've been doing more pickup development in recent years, it's possible Luke just preferred the in-house pickups.
It very well could be. But I'm nearly certain it's cheaper to build pickups in house than it is to go with Dimarzio.

For what I wanted personally, the Dimarzios were the pickups I wanted. But that's mostly because I have a lot of S styles already wand wanted something that covered different ground. Something fatter than traditional singles in the neck and middle was perfect.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
As I recall, before he switched from the DiMarzios he was playing a HSS Cutlass on stage. He clearly loved the pickups. And also remember that no Music Man signature guitar is made without the production run being identical to what the artist actually wants. If Luke preferred staying with the DiMarzios, he would have and that's what we would have today too.

guitarnerdswe

I feel like that's correct only for certain years. I know the LIII I have has all Dimarzios. I don't really see anything clearly written that explains when they switched over.
The LIII version with the Music Man pickups (Cutlass singles + custom humbucker, or 2 custom humbuckers) was introduced in 2020. There has never been a version with Cutlass single coils and a Dimarzio Transition humbucker like someone eluded to. They're either all MM or all Dimarzios.

It's quite easy to see which have the Dimarzios and which have the Music Man pickups. The routing for the legs of the humbuckers is square for the MM pickups, and triangular for the Dimarzios.

Gemmy

The LIII version with the Music Man pickups (Cutlass singles + custom humbucker, or 2 custom humbuckers) was introduced in 2020. There has never been a version with Cutlass single coils and a Dimarzio Transition humbucker like someone eluded to. They're either all MM or all Dimarzios.

It's quite easy to see which have the Dimarzios and which have the Music Man pickups. The routing for the legs of the humbuckers is square for the MM pickups, and triangular for the Dimarzios.
Are you sure about this? I thought in L3s with the transitions humbucker the single coils were custom MMs as evidenced by the below link

Gemmy

Scroll down to the pickup section-

"Standard - HH with 2 DiMarzio Transition humbucking; Optional - HSS with 1 DiMarzio Transition humbucking; 2 DiMarzio custom single coil"

All Dimarzio.
oh dang i was confused as all hell lmao thanks for clarifying

_golem

I think calling them Dimarzio Custom Single Coil is a bit odd as they are noiseless. People here say they're a custom variant of an injector. I can't say that's incorrect. They're absolutely fuller and hotter than the Areas I've used. In some contexts, they don't sound all that hot, but if you switch between a guitar that's vintage output and a Luke III with the pickups you will notice they push the amp and pedals more.

guitarnerdswe

I think calling them Dimarzio Custom Single Coil is a bit odd as they are noiseless. People here say they're a custom variant of an injector. I can't say that's incorrect. They're absolutely fuller and hotter than the Areas I've used. In some contexts, they don't sound all that hot, but if you switch between a guitar that's vintage output and a Luke III with the pickups you will notice they push the amp and pedals more.
Well, stacked single coils are often called single coils regardless of their design, but I see your point.

The LIIIs have a pickup compensation feature, that boosts the level of position 1-4 to be in line with the humbucker (pos 2 and 4 on the HH versions). There is a trim pot inside to adjust how much compensation you get.

This is not the same as the boost on the P/P volume knob.

Top Bottom