• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

alf cockle

I own a gold reflex...to me..it,s everything the axis series should be...bigger feeling neck,arm contour,bigger body....a truly superb guitar..and the gold is like a pearl gold...spectacular paint..a series/parallel pickup selector.so you can actually derive serious single coil sounds outta those 2 humbuckers...and the sales were awful...wtf...a flop...my fave.

wannarock8

I can't speak for others but the body shape didn't really scream "Rock me!!".

It's interesting reading your comparisons between the Reflex and the Axis.
I'm curious, how does the tone of the Reflex in humbucker mode compare to the Axis? It's still got the 25 1/2" scale and bolt on construction. Is there much difference?

Last edited:

headcrash

The bigger size always didn't appeal to me, athough the Reflex ticks some boxes, I must admit.
There are some great colours, I recall, but a plain white one also looks great, since I don't remember regular plain white ones in the whole Axis family ever since. MAybe wrong with this though...

beej

The Axis Sport came in white- before the figured tops and binding of the Super Sport. (I briefly had one.)

wannarock8

I just scored one last weekend. I'll put up an NGD thread when I get some good pics. A black Reflex HH hardtail with piezo and Game Changer circuit.
Besides pics, I want to do a shootout with the Reflex and my Axis SS guitars.

From reading about it and plugging it in a little bit, I'd say if I were a touring pro with a rig that is controlled by a MIDI foot controller or even better, a computer, and playing into an AxeFX rather than an amp, the Reflex with the Game Changer circuit would be a great choice. You could play your entire gig without having to take your hands away from the strings to flip the pickup selector switch, or even to flip from electric to acoustic tones. If your rig has acoustic guitar presets, which I think modeling units like the Axe FX do, a MIDI message from your MIDI controller or a computer could switch off the magnetic pickups and switch on the piezo when you need to play an acoustic part, and switch to the acoustic guitar preset on your modeling rig at the same instant.
And MIDI messages from a computer or MIDI controller could make all your pickup selector changes for your electric guitar parts.
You'd be able to just play your parts, and a computer or a tech offstage could handle preset changes to your effects, amp and the guitar.

Aside from the Game Changer circuit, a chambered body with mahogany tone block and those amazing sounding Axis pickups... I'm excited to hear it up next to my solid and hollow body Axis SSs.

headcrash

The Axis Sport came in white- before the figured tops and binding of the Super Sport. (I briefly had one.)

Ahhh, right. I remember some pics of a white AS HSS with a black pickguard. Just can't find one right now...

Jamie M

I own a gold reflex...to me..it,s everything the axis series should be...bigger feeling neck,arm contour,bigger body....a truly superb guitar..and the gold is like a pearl gold...spectacular paint..a series/parallel pickup selector.so you can actually derive serious single coil sounds outta those 2 humbuckers...and the sales were awful...wtf...a flop...my fave.

Comparing the 2 is pointless. They are different guitars. The Axis remains a solid model, the Reflex.........

Top Bottom